WE - Why not use it for...

He already has…shame really

Hi Brad.

Not really frustrating.
I’m evaluating WE for my needs.
If xojo WE doesn’t work well then I’ll use other tools to get the job done and I’ve learned something valuable.

I doubt this is a problem with my code because there is almost no code. So far all my code does is assign values when a user actions a popupmenu (drop down menu). I’m also using the xojo WE jQuery calendar example which is their code. It seems to be a problem with the product, maybe only in xojo r2 because I don’t recall this happening in r1 but I haven’t tested it much in r1 so hard to say at this point.

If it turns out that it’s somehow something weird with my computer and not the product then the problem won’t exist in the wild which would be good.

If it turns out that it is r2 then they will fix the problem and that will be good. Since I’m evaluating it I haven’t lost any subscription time.

If somehow it’s my code or xojo inc. code in the jQuery example it will get fixed or be revealed to me in another test xojo r2 project.

Brad I can appreciate you wanting to know who people are but in my opinion that doesn’t take precedence over those that want to maintain their privacy. People may have different reasons for wanting to maintain their privacy and I can understand and respect that. This is a community forum and the purpose is to help others unselfishly. Making a selfish demand upon someone to reveal something they aren’t comfortable with is only to satisfy one’s own ego (the individual making the demand).

I can respect you and others not wanting to help other customers if you can’t figure out their identities even though I disagree with it.
I don’t let me ego get in the way of needing to know the exact legal identity of whom I’m helping. For me knowing that I’ve helped the original poster and many others is enough.

Sometimes things are not about ourselves, they are about larger more important issues.

That’s actually pretty funny! Like him or not, try to find a language with a support forum containing only people you like. To make a business decision as to use a product or not based on a particular person on a support forum? Whew. This car is much better, much cheaper, you’ll be able to go twice as far with half the cost… Nope, won’t buy it. I saw a customer of yours who you let stay in the lobby pick his nose. That’s gross. I’ll go buy your competitors product and pay twice the amount and take twice as long to get where I’m going. Thanks!

You guys know the best way to deal with people you don’t agree with or like? Simply ignore posts by them and go about your business. No need to clutter the forums up arguing about silly things.

@Jeremy Cowgar who said anything about a business decision? You making assumptions without Sound reasoning. Sorry if you’re offended.

That’s really gracious of you. I’m pretty sure you’ll be respecting it more and more, as a bigger chunk of people who can best answer your questions will give their attention to those who simply follow the spirit of what our hosts here have asked. To me, that’s a manners issue.

Not at all, and it is rude to make that accusation. The request is about promoting basic good behavior. For instance, with your real name on your postings, you don’t post things that could be reasonably interpreted as threats against my person, such as all caps “I KNOW WHERE YOU LIVE”. Because if you did, and I’m in a particularly obnoxious mood at 1am, you get to explain that to the OC Sheriff.

Posting my government name, or the name of an actor who actually plays my WE game (shout out for #CopMonkeyBear) on air for 4M listeners to hear, that’s clown stuff. LOL. Entertaining that many people feeds my ego much more than knowing who some Internet troll actually is.

I don’t know about you all but where I grew up it was deemed rude to tell others what is rude.

Is there any other WE questions I can answer for any of you?

Another thread that will likely get locked…

Look, WE was not created for people that already know what they’re doing with web technologies. When I was tasked with creating it, it took me a seriously long time to wrap my head around the concept enough to understand that people like me are not likely to use it. It’s a high level tool. You give up a lot of control for a lot of convenience. Anything you can do in WE, you can do in “pure” technologies, but not everything you can do in those you can do in WE. That’s okay.

Thom, thank you for restating this so clearly.

[quote=21974:@Brad Hutchings]
Not at all, and it is rude to make that accusation. The request is about promoting basic good behavior. For instance, with your real name on your postings, you don’t post things that could be reasonably interpreted as threats against my person, such as all caps “I KNOW WHERE YOU LIVE”. Because if you did, and I’m in a particularly obnoxious mood at 1am, you get to explain that to the OC Sheriff.

Posting my government name, or the name of an actor who actually plays my WE game (shout out for #CopMonkeyBear) on air for 4M listeners to hear, that’s clown stuff. LOL. Entertaining that many people feeds my ego much more than knowing who some Internet troll actually is.[/quote]

Nobody has threatened you Brad, no reason for you to be scared. I was joking and it was obvious and no threats or slander was made. You claim you don’t care if people know information about you, apparently that isn’t true. Just to let you know I’m not even in the same state as you. Heck I might not even be in the same Country but that’s my business. I also haven’t broken the law nor have I insulted you even though you continuously insult me and others.

Brad let’s agree to stop communicating.
Please do not reply to any of my posts or threads I write and I will do the same with your posts and threads you write :slight_smile:

Not offended, but if a sale has been lost, then a decision was made, purchasing is a business decision. I fail to see how my reasoning was not sound, but I am now participating in what I strive to stay away from. I’m sorry I responded in this thread initially.

I’m a hobbyist not a professional developer. Nothing to do with business whatsoever. No intention of selling apps. Give them away if anyone is interested.

Just because there is no monetary gain does not mean it is not a business decision. One invests time, one gives away time, in many respects a much more expensive transaction. My original point was that not everyone is going to get a long, anywhere. The best way to deal with the situation is to ignore, not to make business (or personal) decisions based on an individual.

Don’t totally agree with you but agree with you’re last point. As the French would “fin”!

Sorry hate this non-editing - should be your not you’re

[quote=21984:@Mason Mack]Brad let’s agree to stop communicating.
Please do not reply to any of my posts or threads I start and I will do the same :slight_smile:
[/quote]

You private message me who you are, in a verifiable enough way, and I will consider entering an agreement with you. This way I have potential recourse when you break it.

I like when we can come to a conclusion. In life, very rarely do people see completely eye-to-eye. Life would be easier that way, but someone more boring :slight_smile:

I think there is a bug in the forum software. I can not edit either once I hit Post Reply, but if I hit the refresh button, and do so before anyone else posts, I can edit my last post. So, the trick is, hit refresh, do it within a given time frame (not sure of the edit timeout) and catch it before anyone else replies.

Thanks for that…I’ll try to remember. Good night from very warm Britain.

Thanks to all for the replies, they have been very informative! Thanks to those who posted code, links to screenshots, etc.

Every bit helps and I appreciate everyones viewpoint:) An of course, I have my own as well, coming from ~ 35 years of coding and almost 20 years of web development and owning my own business. I’ve been using Xojo (RealBasic) on and off since version 1.x and recently renewed my subscription to see how WE has progressed since I tried back when it first came out. I was hoping WE would be suitable for something new we are working on now and for future iOS development.

For me, this:

And this:

Along with my own observations answered the question: Xojo is not (yet?) for general web app development and that’s why they didn’t use it.

And although I wish it was, that’s fine. I do wish Xojo would make this much more clear upfront. While it’s been worth the time and effort to research, for me at least, I’m not sure others would agree and just drop it and not come back.

I’m glad I renewed my subscription and look forward to using WE for small, embed-able apps (like Brad had for his file downloads), some desktop to web things as well as hopefully iOS. It’s come a LONG way since I last looked at it and the pace of improvement looks good!

For anyone looking for something cool in responsive web development should take a look at Adobe’s Reflow. While still in a “preview” state (isn’t this always the case?), it’s simply amazing for building responsive layouts and styling. Add the Reflow app to you iOS device and you can see what it looks like in real-time on your iPhone and iPad, as you design on the desktop.
http://html.adobe.com/edge/reflow/

[quote=21904:@Norman Palardy]Its not WE only - if you want to see what it is intended to mimic see Apple’s presentations on Autolayout
https://developer.apple.com/videos/wwdc/2011/#cocoa-autolayout
https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/#documentation/UserExperience/Conceptual/AutolayoutPG/Articles/Introduction.html

Drag drop and pretty much done[/quote]

Norman, can’t wait to see these… but the Dev Portal is down (can’t log in, no app, I guess due to the hack), so that will have to wait. Sounds very interesting!!

[quote=22228:@Stephen MacLean]For anyone looking for something cool in responsive web development should take a look at Adobe’s Reflow. While still in a “preview” state (isn’t this always the case?), it’s simply amazing for building responsive layouts and styling. Add the Reflow app to you iOS device and you can see what it looks like in real-time on your iPhone and iPad, as you design on the desktop.
[/quote]

That’s funny that you have to add an app or even have the device in hand. Apps I’m building with WE right now, I just run and select the device I want from a popup menu.

Add device/browser combos as I want to see how they’ll lay out. Not impossible to build this kind capability with WE, works surprisingly well for scaling the mobile device space.