[WE] starting to play with it more.. have questions for y'all

Polite would be letting people who know what they’re talking about answer the questions. I may very well have read Scott’s question wrong, but it appeared he was asking for hands-on experience rather than abstract book knowledge from people who haven’t even tried WE.

CGI vs. stand-alone deployment is a case study in trade-offs and difficult answers. Many of the developers I’ve worked with are not Linux-geeky enough to do a stand-alone deployment or track down common problems with a cgi-deployment. Frankly, they shouldn’t have to be unless there is some appreciable advantage in having that knowledge. And so cgi deployment on a system where it works without issue is the best choice for them. The performance hit of a middle cgi/fcgi layer is not as significant for them as the performance hit of not being able to do the project.

But if you need SSL now, CGI/FCGI with Apache handling the security is a better choice for projects that can’t wait out the indefinite time period on stand-alone SSL fixes.

I know what I talk about. When I don’t know, I ask questions. We were just discussing about the subject in a friendly way until you came in, talking in the Brad way of talking.

Man, you drain my energy, you are a vampire. :slight_smile:

I didn’t touched this subject, you must have me confused with someone else.

Please, don’t reply. Let’s end this here. Have a nice day or night. :smiley:

[quote=6379:@Ricardo Araujo]I didn’t touched this subject, you must have me confused with someone else.
[/quote]

You’re kidding, right? That was the original question that we were talking about before you hijacked the thread.

Dude, you do not exist. :wink:

Yes, we do. Configuring it as a reverse proxy / balancer is quite straight forward and doesn’t require anything additional. It also (in our tests) scaled up better than Apache in resource-constrained 32 bit VPS instances.

As far as other production deployments of Nginx- they are quite numerous. Facebook/Dropbox/Netflix/etc all use it.

[quote=6383:@Travis Hill]Yes, we do. Configuring it as a reverse proxy / balancer is quite straight forward and doesn’t require anything additional. It also (in our tests) scaled up better than Apache in resource-constrained 32 bit VPS instances.

As far as other production deployments of Nginx- they are quite numerous. Facebook/Dropbox/Netflix/etc all use it.[/quote]

When I said I didn’t know anyone that ran it, I meant I don’t know anyone personally that runs it. All the system admins I know either run apache, IIS (windows peeps) or node.js. Figured several large shops use it.

On my test VPS server I will have to look into testing with it.

Thanks
sb

Several of you suggested that I go with cgi since it is easy to drop into an (running) apache config. Since I don’t have one, I have been playing with stand alone and it is pretty nice. Yeah you need to have some Linux admin skills (I have some).

Thanks to everyone that has offered their help/advice…

sb