Want to probe the user's trackpad.

I’m trying to figure out if the user’s primary pointing device supports functions, such as Gestures or Force Touch. Then I can display to the user tips on how to use these functions, but I don’t want to display them if they’ve got a regular old mouse plugged in, or a trackpad which doesn’t support force touch.

I’m about all searched out.

[quote=267111:@Sam Rowlands]I’m trying to figure out if the user’s primary pointing device supports functions, such as Gestures or Force Touch. Then I can display to the user tips on how to use these functions, but I don’t want to display them if they’ve got a regular old mouse plugged in, or a trackpad which doesn’t support force touch.

I’m about all searched out.[/quote]

Here I have no trackpad, and where I pull the trackpad control panel, it says “No trackpad found”. So there must be some way to assert its presence. But if you have not found it, it must be very well hidden.

Won’t you simply ask ?

This guy has a way to detect Force Touch. Haven’t tried it, it doesn’t look pretty
https://eternalstorms.wordpress.com/2015/11/16/how-to-detect-force-touch-capable-devices-on-the-mac/

Thanks guys. I was surprised that there isn’t a more obvious way to detect this.