want to get back the tab order change from RS2012 !!!!

I just had to change a tab order of a big window… the new system in xojo is awful compared to the one in RS !
in RS you just click on each item in the order you want them to be tabbed
in xojo you have to put a name on each item, then remember the name and drag-drop the good order
for me this takes much more time than the previous system on heavy filled windows
is there a way to use the old system ? copy and paste the window into an empty RS project, change tab order and then copy-paste back to xojo ?

Naming all the controls properly for the future of your application. Leaving it as label1, label2, textbox1, textbox2 is bad practice.

i do agree the RB tab order editor is much better

It shocks me that people don’t name their controls. What’s worse is the variable names I’ve seen on the forum.

even if the controls are named, you have to search throught the list the name you want to order it the way you want
clicking on each item one after one if far more efficient.

No question that the efficiency of the visual designer was lost for some things. And funny how none of the answers really had anything to do with your concern. It’s akin to asking which type of paint to use for the house, and being told which color you should choose (been recently looking at house paints).

I have heard of others using RS still for the designer features and completing the code and compilation on Xojo. As long as the controls you use support it, it is an option (not efficient, but maybe good enough).

I name the “active” items, that is items that have an event in it or are used in a method
I don’t name labels just for the pleasure to name them…

Really? That sucks.

[quote=233448:@Jean-Yves Pochez]I name the “active” items, that is items that have an event in it or are used in a method
I don’t name labels just for the pleasure to name them…[/quote]
Do Labels really need to be tabbable? I just turn them into a control array which noticably reduces clutter in the IDE.

Tab order seems to have gone the same way as the rich UI, we seem to have a very dumbed down version in fashion at present. Most web sites I visit that require you to log in don’t bother to put the focus on the username field - even the Xojo site.

The original version of Xojo had the same mechanism as RS Web Apps, which was brilliant in that space, but a total fail in the desktop space as web apps didn’t support TabPanels Or PagePanels - you can guess how that worked.

So now we have the MVP which I don’t find that bad. Labels have their text alongside, and I do name my active controls logically. Along with that I lay my controls out in Tab order which is great until you need to revisit the window/page/container. You can also stretch the layout window vertically to get the biggest list and therefor the smallest drag. Being able to drag multiple elements would help a lot, but this is the MVP.

And @Markus Winter, Yes you do need to tab to labels because some users can’t actually see the screen & need the label read to them at a logical point.

Feature requests such as this really only have an effect when requested via Feedback.app
By the way, blue is the only acceptable house color here.

I assumed screen readers might need to know the right order, so I always put a label tab order directly before the control it relates to.

I’ve never had to search through the list, perhaps you have too many controls on one view?

[quote=233459:@Tim Parnell] @Jean-Yves Pochez even if the controls are named, you have to search throught the list the name you want to order it the way you want

I’ve never had to search through the list, perhaps you have too many controls on one view?[/quote]
it is a window with a tab panel and 5 panels on it with controls inside.
the tab order window does not fit in my screen’s height …
that programm was long ago made in RS and I recently had to add some controls and reorder the tab… WTF !

@Wayne &Tim

Good point!

just found a workaround : couldnt resign myself in renaming my biiiiig window full of items…
in the inspector, simply change the “tabindex” field, renumbering it from 0 to N manually
clic on the item, renumber it the next number
each pagepanel or tabpanel restart the number to zero

not that funny but sill IMHO far faster than xojo integrated system ?

[quote=234084:@Jean-Yves Pochez]just found a workaround : couldnt resign myself in renaming my biiiiig window full of items…
in the inspector, simply change the “tabindex” field, renumbering it from 0 to N manually
clic on the item, renumber it the next number
each pagepanel or tabpanel restart the number to zero

not that funny but sill IMHO far faster than xojo integrated system ?[/quote]

that is pretty good idea.

I think the Tab Order Editor would be great, if the element currently selected in the Tab Order Editor was also automatically selected/indicated in the Layout Editor. Something like this:

BTW, this is <https://xojo.com/issue/26656>

yes and vice-versa : if you clic on an item it get selected in the tab order window