Visualizing Project

Out of curiosity… I am just wondering if anyone has seen anything that allows you to more easily visualize your project?

For example… like a lot of database designers etc… will give you a look like this:

Just wondering if anyone has ever seen anything that would give you a visual representation like this for a xojo project.

Basically showing windows with lines to methods, and classes, etc… that were called.

Probably not… but doesn’t hurt to ask… lol

Nothing that I’m aware of. I’ve thought about it a time or two but then I always come back to the question: what would I use it for?

Seriously, it’s pretty rare, in my 15+ years of experience do I have a class hierarchy more than 2 levels deep. Base class and subclass. I generally have the problem that I have several hundred classes and it would be handy, sometimes, to know where that class is being used.

Perhaps you have a better use case?

Valentina Studio would work well for this across a large base of db’s. If you’re using MySQL then MySQL WorkBench is a great tool.

[quote=326866:@Bob Keeney]Nothing that I’m aware of. I’ve thought about it a time or two but then I always come back to the question: what would I use it for?

Seriously, it’s pretty rare, in my 15+ years of experience do I have a class hierarchy more than 2 levels deep. Base class and subclass. I generally have the problem that I have several hundred classes and it would be handy, sometimes, to know where that class is being used.

Perhaps you have a better use case?[/quote]

You know what actually amazes me… and I really don’t know why this is…

But when I create huge PHP applications, all I am really doing is just sitting there looking at directories and crap… But for some reason, and I really can’t say why… things just still seem to be all visually connected in my head, damn hard to explain… For example I am coding in an ide, looking at the folder structure on the left hand side in the editor, and it just never feels like I am lost.

But when I look in the Xojo IDE, and I look at the left hand side

App
Windows
Methods
Classes
Constants
Properties

I feel like I am going back and retracing things all the time…

You know it isn’t really that different, but for some damn reason, I feel like it is, and don’t know why.

I feel like I would like to pull up a view that shows a Window, and lines going out to the methods, and classes, and properties, all being used and click on whatever branch there and be in the code for that…

I always felt like there should be something like this:

A view you could pull up and then just click one of those, and your in that part of thee code…

My image example there isn’t that great… But, just seems like it would be nice…

I am probably just nuts…

I wasn’t talking about databases… I was just using the image for an example… Actually wasn’t talking about databases at all lol.

Or you know what…

Let’s say I open a container in a new tab, so that everything for it is shown in the side tree view…

But there are still classes etc, that are used in the project that are being used in the grand scheme of things for that container…

If they were brought in to the list in some fashion as well, so they showed up on the left side… Like under a referenced heading or something…

Maybe, just being rather knew to Xojo still, I am just going through a process LOL.

Not sure what to tell you. I came from VB6 and C/C++ and none of those tools had anything like what you’re asking for. Maybe it’s really a matter of what you’re used to.

Now, I will say that Xojo is particularly bad at showing you what the Super is unless you go out of your way to see it.