Video Player

I am looking for a best way to implement video playback in a web app. I need functionality that will allow me to move the play head to specific points and read location of play head on a streamed video. Any ideas?

I know I can drop an HTML control and implement a flash or HTML5 player with my own code. But I would like to have a more native control/player. Maybe I am missing something obvious.

THX

Oh. And I forgot a current issue with WebMoviePlayer. The documentation says to call the Reset function after changing DesktopURL. However, there is no such method available.

I wouldn’t. Streaming large files will tie up the app’s CPU time. I’d suggest putting them on a CDN that’s designed for video streaming.

Can anyone answer the original question?

I have tried using the WebMoviePlayer and I can’t get MPG or SWF to play in it. The player window just shows a gray background with a moving slider (but no sound).

I was initially very excited about the possibility of using Xojo to develop web apps but just scratching the surface Xojo seems extremely limited.

If you look at the docs, it was designed to play mp4 video files, so that it would play natively on the most browsers, falling back to flash only when necessary.

What I ended up doing for all of our Real Studio/Xojo training videos was to have an MP4/MOV version AND an Ogg version for browsers that didn’t support the MP4 version (Firefox and Chrome). At the time, this was the only way I could get around the bugs in the WebVideoPlayer API.

Note that I have NOT tried the Flash player fallback in several version so this might all be moot in current versions, but I know I struggled mightily with this for a long time and what I did works (even if I’m using double the disk space).

AFAIK, FireFox 21 and higher has H264 support if the OS does (e.g. Windows 7 does, Windows XP does not).

Well, I can’t control which version of the browser people are using and which OS. What I have now works (even if it does kind of stink to encode 2 types of video).

[quote=41794:@Loren Staplin]Can anyone answer the original question?

I have tried using the WebMoviePlayer and I can’t get MPG or SWF to play in it. The player window just shows a gray background with a moving slider (but no sound).

I was initially very excited about the possibility of using Xojo to develop web apps but just scratching the surface Xojo seems extremely limited.[/quote]

@ Loren - Bob refereed me to Daniel Taylor. Dan said he is about to release a control that fits my needs. I’ll let you know how that goes when I get it. Here’s his site: http://webcustomcontrols.com. It definitely seems that 3rd party sources are needed to added specialized needs in Xojo.

Ok. I will keep monitoring this post.

It’s possible I am not using the WebMoviePlayer control correctly because I have yet to get MPG or SWF (will try ogg, mp4, and wmv next) to play in it. Also, I would need to be able to completely hide the playback bar for some videos. If I can’t do this, I might not be able to use it anyway. I’ll keep trying to get it working because it is so much easier to use than HTMLViewer+code.

I am still in search of a better implementation of a video control. One which fires events on ‘x’ time played, moving the playhead in the player to a specific time, etc…

Will pay. :wink: