Video editor

How can I make video editor in xojo?

Personally, I am using Cyberlink PowerDirector 365 and Techsmith Camtasia. Based on my experience with both applications, I think that is not possible with Xojo.

Video editing asks a lot of resources and processing power from the computer, it is in my humble opinion, far out of the reach of Xojo. But I can be wrong.

Chris

1 Like

It used to be fairly easy when Apple’s QuickTime was available cross platform. I think now you’d have to use separate libraries for each target platform. Maybe MBS has something that can help?

Welcome, Waqar Raza,

Thank you for your reply and thoughts.

I do agree with you, both Cyberlink PowerDirector and especially Camtasia, are very powerful applications.

Like everything else, Xojo has its limits and this type of application is just out of its capabilities. I do not see Xojo coming even close to the Cyberlink or Techsmith’s applications. Xojo is based on the BASIC language which is not suited for this kind of application which is very demanding on processing power.

Have a lovely day.

Chris

I have removed a spam post from this topic.

I had managed to build a kind of video editor in Xojo, albeit not the kind one would expect.
This app would take parameters in a window (the effect, then the parameters) and, once one clicked “start”, would ask for an input movie (and other input files if necessary) and proceed with each frame. One could add a permanent logo to a movie, make text scrolling (e.g. end credits), visual effects and more. The benefit of this app was, as I was the programmer, I could add whatever effect I wanted (like a picture coming (flowing) out of a teapot).

But I had to keep Xojo 2013 for that; the latest version supporting the EditableMovie class. And the project became somewhat hard to manage because I had not started with packaging functions correctly in the beginning (e.g. having a module for picture effects would have helped).

Since Xojo 2013 wouldn’t make 64 bit apps, I can’t use this app any longer, but this kind of apps is feasible (as long as you proceed each frame and don’t provide a live editor). This was a bit slow, however.

This sounds like a big accomplishment which I never taught was possible. I am sure you are a very creative and experienced programmer.

Maybe in the future, you will find a way to do the same again.

Keep up the good work and… be creative!

Chris

1 Like

Making a video editor in Xojo does sound like quite an achievement, and kudos to you for even considering it! The world of programming can lead to some incredible creations, and I’m sure your curiosity and creativity will take you far.

today if I had to, I would (try to) use some external library like ffmpeg, and xojo could do all the user interface.
the processing would have to be made with command line.
I think that iFFmpeg has been made this way.

Yes, I agree, FFMpeg is the way to do this. You could build a slick UI in Xojo and shell to FFMpeg to create thumbnails to embed in your UI. Your UI would need to create an “edit list” of operations to perform on the various media files, then when it’s time to render, you shell to the appropriate FFMpeg command lines in the proper order to achieve the final result.

1 Like

A long time ago I made a subtitle editor in Xojo.
It had a timeline, with “clips”. The main clip, at the top had thumbnails and a waveform for the audio. Both of them could be toggled on-or off.

The look and feel was kind of similar to the Adobe Premiere UI.
I was able to add multiple “language” tracks for the subtitles. All “clips” were drag-able. And with the same shortcuts I used for Premiere I could modify (extend) the clips.

I added foot-pedal support, for easy video-transport (play/pause, next caption, previous caption, etc).
I used the VLC plugin by MBS to create a preview panel, that could overlay text over a video-frame.

It worked like a charm.
But since Premiere has a pretty good subtitle editor support I abandoned the project a long time ago.
I might pick up where I left the project, to add AI (ChatGPT API and Open AI’s Whisper) to convert speech to text, and create timed captions automatically. Premiere can do that. But it doesn’t work wll for languages other than English.

With some work, and with the help of some MBS plugins and/or FFMPEG you could add video-editing functionality. MBS has some nice video manipulation plugins. MBS does cost a bit. But it is very much worth a try.
So, yeah, it is possible to create a UI that works like a video-editor, and edit videos.

But, it’s quite a challenge to get a responsive UI, that works smooth.

1 Like