Ventura 13.2 (a) (22D7750270d) crashes Xojo

@Rick_Araujo what you say would be very sensible in a perfect world.

Unfortunately, I have some bad news for you :slight_smile:

We are talking about 13.2 beta, and the point of the beta is to give Apple feedback. It’s entirely possibly that Apple would reply “haha Xojo you did it wrong” but it’s also possible they would take a look at their own history and do something to help with backwards compatiblity. Changing the format of a version string, while technically legal, is weird and unexpected.

If nobody asks, it’s 100% guaranteed to not get fixed. If someone asks, there’s a chance it might.

1 Like

Is this documented somewhere? Maybe the “(a)” string would persist in versions 13.2.1 or 13.3…

The problem is, there’s nothing wrong, and nothing to fix. If Adobe used the API wrongly, Apple would say the same. Fix your Photoshop.

As the meme says, “it’s the law”. 13.2, 13.2 with security patch (a), 13.2.1 or 13.3 (already containing integrated what previously was fixed with a hotfix patch on top of it).

Well, with this as the apparent precedent, those future versions would in turn get security patches applied atop THEM. Let’s not think that this (a) thing is a one-off.

1 Like

It’s not. Could even occur in sequence, I do imagine it would become (b) in such case. I’m curious about how those localized macOS strings behave in RTL languages like Arabic, Hebrew, Persian, Urdu, etc.

1 Like

Just playing with Google Translate. It does not intend to be the exact outcome from the macOS API in those languages, natives could say the exact string they get from the API operatingSystemVersionString :

English:

macOS 13.2 (a) (abcdef)

Hebrew:

Persian:

Sindhi:

Arabic:

You can still try yourself by modifying your system language and restarting the computer (it’s easy to change back to english later).

A restart is not necessary.

I meant a restart if you want to see the string in “About this Mac” window. Perhaps it has changed recently, but I recall OS localisation took effect when you restart (not in an alive fashion).

Indeed, if Xojo doesn’t crash, you can try without restarting, by making a test app.

Restarting any app should work. For “About this Mac” I would restart the Finder.

One feature of newer macOS versions I always use is to set localisation for individual apps.

That’s my point: “About this Mac” isn’t tied to the Finder (because the Finder may even be not running at all when you switch languages). Restarting (or logging out and back in) is the only way [I know of] to update localisation of system processes (I just tested on my Monterey VM, because I already noticed SystemUIServer (which is responsible for the clock and “menus on the right side” (don’t recall their official name)) started to update automatically since several OS releases (it didn’t previously); just wanted to make sure “About this Mac” and other components haven’t been updated recently as well).

1 Like

Mike, you are not supposed to parse a version string to get the version out of it. It’s meant for displaying only. In the future, Apple may instead just put “macOS Ventura bugfix 2” instead of “13.2” into it. That’s common sense not to scan such a string, when there are other ways known to get the information from numeric values that you can depend on. The Xojo engineer’s mistake was that it wasn’t obvious to him/her, because of lack of experience. That’s what you get if you cannot pay your employees fair money for their worth, as we’ve seen with many of the more capable ones leaving in the past.

Yes, that’s not helping now, but please realize that there’s right ways to do things and there are wrong ways. The many bugs in Xojo prove that there’s too many such mistakes happening, and that has to be known and accepted.

6 Likes

Yes, logout/in instead of a restart is the easier way to reload everything, especially when it comes to testing different localess.
Or even better: Create a second account and use that for this kind of tests, logging into it (“fast user switching”) while keeping your main account logged in as well.

An example where simply relaunching the tested app after changing the language, without a logout, is for instance when testing for Japanese:
When I just switched from English to Japanese and then relaunched my Xojo app “iClip”, all seemed okay. But only after a re-login An encoding error appeared that only my Japanese users saw. I never saw this issue before because I had thought that logging out was not necessary.

So beware if you test any non-roman (EN, FR, ES, etc.) language!

3 Likes

Risking I might be stamped illiteral from now on, but FR, ES, IT (and many more) are called “roman” in my world of language studies. Is this some PC-only thing to call FR,ES (etc.) “non-roman”? Or has this just changed over time? Is there a list of “comparison” (definition vs. “real”-world)?

Probably just awkward syntax. I can’t speak for Thomas, of course, but I think he meant “non-roman languages, that is, languages other than EN, FR, ES, etc.”

1 Like

Well, for what it’s worth… I came on here looking to see if others have had Xojo crash as I just did. I haven’t real ALL the posts as you guys get much too technical for a hobbiest like me so I apologise if this has already been said but I went into “About this Mac” and under General it said I had Beta 2 with the Rapid Security Patch (or similar) and the option to remove it. I did that, restarted and Xojo runs again.

Hope this helps.
Barry

That was a typo of mine. I meant to say: “… if you test any of languages other than roman (EN, FR, ES,…)”. Or is that still grammatically wrong?

Some say Latin instead of Roman – they mean the same, right?

Latin is a root language, Romance languages are languages spawned and evolved from it.

1 Like

Nearly OK. “… if you test any language other than roman …” is better.

2 Likes

That’s not surprising, but removing security patches isn’t the best way to fix things :-). In fairness, this particular one was mainly a drill. Anyway, such things come with the territory when working on a beta OS.

You say you’ve only skimmed the thread, so in case you missed it, Xojo just shipped 2022r4.1 to address this.

2 Likes