VC_redist gets blocked

Before releasing a new version of my software (compiled with 2016r1) I have made a lot of tests with the new VC_redist exe.
Mainly in old computers or old Windows versions.
And in some cases (not few) when VC_redist.x86.exe is executed, installation starts but never finishes. It takes a lot of time and it seems installation is blocked.
If I put this VC_redist inside the installer of my software, the whole thing is blocked.
Finally I’ve decided to add the 41 dll as necessary files for my application and everything runs smoothly.
So, I recommend to use these dll instead of putting VC_redist into the installer of your applications, if your users have old computers or old Windows versions.

I know it means that these dll will not be updated by Windows automatically, but with VC_redist problems are guaranteed.

Hmm, thats odd. Did you get your latest VC_redist.x86.exe from C:\Program Files (x86)\Xojo\Xojo 2016r1.1\Extras\Windows Runtime\Installers ?

If so, could you drop it into http://onlinemd5.com/ and post the MD5?

Also, is there a pattern to the failures? Like only on Windows X or Y?

If you mean pre-Vista, you know it is not supported, right ?

No I mean Windows 7. As you probably remember Windows 7 was very good because some machines that had problems with Vista worked perfectly well with Windows 7.
But, as I said, I have checked the oldest machines with Windows 7 and I found this problem in three or four computers. So I imagined that some of my users could get the same problem.

[quote=264139:@]Hmm, thats odd. Did you get your latest VC_redist.x86.exe from C:\Program Files (x86)\Xojo\Xojo 2016r1.1\Extras\Windows Runtime\Installers ?
If so, could you drop it into http://onlinemd5.com/ and post the MD5?
Also, is there a pattern to the failures? Like only on Windows X or Y?[/quote]

Yes I have the latest version.
I have found this problem only on Windows 7. Not checked Vista. No problem on Windows 8. On Windows 10 is not necessary

Does the Windows 7 install that doesnt work have W7.SP1 installed?

I don’t know. This could be the reason . I’ll check it.

[quote=264133:@Ramon SASTRE]

Finally I’ve decided to add the 41 dll as necessary files for my application and everything runs smoothly.
So, I recommend to use these dll instead of putting VC_redist into the installer of your applications, if your users have old computers or old Windows versions.

I know it means that these dll will not be updated by Windows automatically, but with VC_redist problems are guaranteed.[/quote]

Actually, it will not matter that these DLLs are not updated by Windows. In fact, they don’t need to because they are the exact versions of dependencies that you compiled your app with. The most important is that they will just work for the version of your app.

Does not matter if there may be same files in the system that may or may not get broken (DLL Hell) by Windows update. You are “sandboxed”.

Ok, you have convinced me to install the dlls myself and skip the VC_redist. I was going to have InstallShield do the VC_redist as a prerequisite but I have seen some issues as well - mainly it is slow and displays a new message to the user while doing it. I also have been worried about them later removing the VC_redist by accident. Or maybe, like you said, it might “get broken (DLL Hell) by Windows update”