Valentina or MariaDB or mySQL?

Most of my projects these days are web based and my clients generally use MS SQL as the backend but I am thinking about new project and the client hasnt specified a backend db so I was wondering what people are using these days out of Valentina or MariaDB or mySQL? I have used mySQL and MariaDB in the past (years back) but dont know how things are going with these now.

if I had a choice between MariaDB and MySQL, I would go with MariaDB. Licensing is much more straight forward and easier to understand. Plus it is FREE for both OSS and Commercial apps. MySQL isnt that way.

I would go with MariaDB over Valentia for the sole reason that I have used it before and never used Valentia.

These days I am using a lot of SQLite (and CubeSQL) and dabbling with PosgreSQL. But you didnt ask me what I was using.

I use mariaDB, and haven’t looked back at anything else. Haven’t needed to. It’s handled everything I’ve thrown at it, and it still comes out asking, “Is that all you got, punk?” I manage it with Navicat, and have all my indexes in place. Setting up clusters wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be either. Overall, very happy with it and the way it’s evolving.

That is exactly what I am thinking about using ie Navicat as I have used it for years. Do you use the Xojo mySQL connector or some other way to talk to the DB?

Ok, I am now going to ask :wink: Why do you use those db’s over others?

You didn’t mention it, but I recommend PostgreSQL.

Keep in mind the MySQL plugin for Xojo (used to connect to MySQL or MariaDB) is GPL, so that could impact the apps you are creating.

I’ve not used Valentina enough to comment on it.

Why? I have seen others on this forum use it but have never used myself and know nothing about it.

Licensing, primarily. PostgreSQL is completely free to use without the licensing challenges that can arise with MySQL. MariaDB is sometimes a good alternative to the MySQL licensing, but not if you use the Xojo MySQL plugin.

Neither
PostgreSQL as its license is 100% free for ANY use

I use SQLite for most apps as I have a single app talking to the database (I use it as a data storage).

cubeSQL is SQLite turned into a RDMS (and the guys that wrote cubeSQL are going to kill me). cubeSQL allows me to write the same code as I do with SQLite and just switch over to cubeSQL. Now cubeSQL is commercial and you have to buy licensees for it.

I am using PostrgreSQL over MySQL due to licensing. PostgreSQL is 100% open source, and has a license allowing commercial use of it.

Is the Xojo to mySQL/MariaDB connector not good?

If speed, reliability and scaleability is more important price would you still use PostrgreSQL?

To me the Valentina documentation is a little hard to digest and I don’t believe there is support for transactions.

+1 For CubeSQL or PostgreSQL.

Good? Yes provided you are giving away your source. It is toxic to closed source applications because it is GPL.

Yes, my order of importance is: Reliability, scalability, speed then price. PostgreSQL meets those priorities.

So if I used the MBS SQL Plugin than I could use MariaDB or mySQL?

Do other people agree with this?

How does the speed compare to MS SQL?

Ah, if this is correct then that would cause me a problem, is their any way to do transactions with PostgreSQL?

PostgreSQL does support transactions.

I read somewhere on the Valentina site that support for transactions would be implemented, but it hasn’t yet. If there was support for transactions I would use it more often. It does have some really nice features.

For a “Free” enterprise database I don’t think you can beat PostgreSQL.

For an easy to use database server I go with CubeSQL.

I either use MS SQL or PostgreSQL.

The offerings of PostgreSQL is very good for the cost. The only thing I wish it did have was stored procedures; however, I was able to do what I needed to in a function.

PostgreSQL definitely has stored procedures.

I thought PostgreSQL used stored functions. For example… I don’t believe you can call a PostgreSQL stored function directly like you can in MS SQL in the traditional sense.

you would need to do to

select f_stored_function()

vs

exec f_stored_function()

but you are correct in… you can treat a stored function like a stored procedure.

I couldn’t answer that as I don’t use them. You could use the generic ODBC plugin which is license safe with MariaDB, you just have to have the ODBC driver installed instead.

I know that Xojo cloud had plans for database support and Rackspace prefers Mysql.

If they do use MYSql one could presume that the plugin would “get lots of love”.

Guys, please, change the MYSQL plugin code. Use the MariaDB Client C lib 2.0+ LGPL instead of MYSQL GPL. It will FREE the users from this problem (with some possible limits associated with other practices listed below) and it should make the plugin fully compatible with both worlds.

Here is how it works:

Using the MariaDB client library for C

If you apps are not open source, then you should use the new LGPL MariaDB Client libraries for C.

The LGPL license allows you to distribute the MariaDB client library freely with any application. But, If you modify the client library you need to publish the new source code. If you only use it, you are ok.

Distributing a proprietary application using MariaDB client:

If your software works with MariaDB or MySQL interchangeably, you are completely ok.

If you wish to distribute MariaDB along with your app, your app should be able to work with other DB backends, characterizing MariaDB as an optional component.

If your app ALSO can use MySQL, it should NOT have any functionality limitations when compared against MariaDB.

To avoid any possibility of future problem, MariaDB would be an optional, independent component in your software distribution, and section 2 of GPL explicitly allows this:

“In addition, mere aggregation of another work not based on
the Program with the Program (or with a work based on the Program) on
a volume of a storage or distribution medium does not bring the other
work under the scope of this License.”

If you need to change something on the client source code, the rights to use the MariaDB code changes in your application can be requested from SkySQL.

** The original full text is here: Licensing FAQ - MariaDB Knowledge Base ** If you want a second opinion about this subject, you can contact Software Freedom Law Center