Using the € symbol

A question for all you Europeans on this forum: Do you represent 10 euros as € 10 or 10 € ?
When representing ten dollars it is written as $10 which is literally saying dollars 10. No wonder non -English speaking people think English is messed up and confusing.

You can use both, there is no clear regulation

€ 10
10 €
EUR 10
10 EUR

I think Excel (german) uses 10 €

Just what I was thinking. I am going with 10 €. Sounds more logical.

Dutch Excel says € 125,25

And if cents are used it’s more logical to put the currency sign in front of the number.

That is not relevant here, as in Excel you want a currency always at the same place if you have different currencies in a column.

Correct is:

125.25 € (with space, with comma or dot)
125.25 euro (no capital e, with space, with comma or dot)

£ 125.25 (with space)
$125.25 (no space)

ISO-codes always go in front with a space:

EUR 125.25
GBP 125.25
USD 125.25

Of course I cannot locate that at the moment, but there was an official recommendation where it was said specifically to never use the Euro symbol between euros and cents, as in 1€50.

Apart from that, what Eli posted is just fine.

For convenience, if you already use the dollar sign in front like $ 1.50, you may want to use the same rule € 1.50 as it requires much less coding and it does not mess up justification.

The comma decimal separator is not mandatory,especially if your pages are in English.

I sometimes refer to this chart when dealing with different currencies. It does not tell me where to place the symbol, but there is information on the other aspects of currency notation. We can download a table of ISO4217 codes here.

For Euro usage, I find this page useful. Also, Wikipedia has some interesting information on the topic.

In Portugal, it used to be the custom to use the escudo sign (which just happened to be $) as a decimal separator for currency amounts. M. Bujardet’s source is saying not to extend this to the €.

Anyway, common usage in Ireland (the only English-speaking country using it) is before the amount with no space, just as the £ sign was used before (€200). If you do use a space, it should be non-breaking &uA0, not the ordinary &u20, so that it stays with the numbers.

And notice this from M. Desjardins’s link:

The plural of euro is euros (in English).

heh
this is where locales extend to
formatting rules and all sort of things - and a bunch of it is in lib ICU :stuck_out_tongue:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Locale_Data_Repository