using comparerows

i found the following to compare number in the comparerows on listbox.

my question is if i have field for dates (DD/MM/YYYY) and i want to able sort properly by year first then month and then my day. What should i do??

Select Case column
  Case 2 // Number column
    If Val(Me.Cell(row1, column)) < Val(Me.Cell(row2, column)) Then
      result = -1
    ElseIf Val(Me.Cell(row1, column)) > Val(Me.Cell(row2, column)) Then
      result = 1
    Else
      result = 0
    END IF
    Return True
  Case 3 //Dates column
????
  End Select

Store the SQLDATE in the cell tag and use that cell tag for the sorting is one approach I often use

What he said. You can do a string comparison on SQLDates without having to convert them to Date objects first. That works because SQLDate is in the format YYYY-MM-DD, and that will always sort correctly.

If you started with Date objects, you could also store those in the CellTag and compare them in CompareRows.

before i have a additional column in my query for the listbox that change the date field (dd/mm/yyyy) to sqldate format (yyyy-mm-dd).
all the client need to do is sorted that sqldate format column. i thought i can do without the extra column.

[quote=66375:@Richard Duke]before i have a additional column in my query for the listbox that change the date field (dd/mm/yyyy) to sqldate format (yyyy-mm-dd).
all the client need to do is sorted that sqldate format column. i thought i can do without the extra column.[/quote]

You can. If you want you can parse the input date string and convert it to SQLDate String format and compare that in the event. Or as suggested when a date is entered you an do a conversion once and store the result in the CellTag, and compare celltag values instead.

this is what i did… i like the idea about cell tag… where do i set the cell tag say column 13?

Dim theDate1 as New Date,theDate2 as New Date
      DIM converted1 as Boolean, converted2 as Boolean
      converted1 = ParseDate(Me.Cell(row1, column), theDate1)
      converted2 = ParseDate(Me.Cell(row2, column), theDate2)
      IF theDate1.SQLDate <  theDate2.SQLDate THEN
        result = -1
      ELSEIF theDate1.SQLDate > theDate2.SQLDate THEN
        result = 1
      Else
        result = 0
      END IF
      Return True

i think i am missing something on the above code… why i do a sorting on the column 13… if sort 01/02/2005, 01/02/2011, 01/03/2003, 01/03/2011 etc…

sorry… i got the code to work… but it take some times when i click on that date column… especially if i got over 4000 rows.

Store the SQLDate in the celltag and eliminate all those parsedate calls.

When you show the SQLDate or SQLDateTime in the listbox, you can sort these values directly in CompareRows, since they will sort correctly - though they are strings. Of course this doesn’t work when you show the dates formatted as “dd.mm.yyyy” or “mm/dd/yy”. But as long as the order is year-month-day-hours-minutes-seconds you can safely sort the string representations of the dates.

Alternatively you could set the date as RowTag (after each AddRow with: lbx.RowTag(lbx.LastIndex = theDate) and then use the dates in CompareRows. From the docs:

will try the cell tag idea… tim…or row tag idea… eli…

how do i sort the celltag ?? in comparerows?

Yes

any sample codes??
say column 12 is the date column

// Fill the listbox lbx.AddRow(..., ..., ..., theDate.ShortDate) lbx.CellTag(lbx.LastIndex, 3) = theDate

// CellTextPaint event Function CompareRows(row1 As Integer, row2 As Integer, column As Integer, ByRef result As Integer) As Boolean Select Case column Case 0 ... Case 1 ... Case 2 ... Case 3 Dim d1 As Date = Me.CellTag(row1, column) Dim d2 As Date = Me.CellTag(row2, column) If d1 < d2 Then result = -1 ElseIf d1 > d2 Then result = 1 Else result = 0 End if End Return True End

You have to understand what a CellTag is. It’s merely a place for you to store information in the row of a ListBox that isn’t visible to the user. Because it’s a variant, it can be any information you’d like.

i never use celltag before… so every column have a can’t see field and a can see field.

Yes, that’s a good way to look at it, except you can have more CellTag columns than there are visible columns. So for example, if your ListBox is defined as 3 columns, it is not an error to do something like lb.CellTag( row, 25 ) = someData. How you use the CellTags is entirely up to you.

usually i simply use the cell but don’t show them by using 0% for the those hidden column.

The limitation is that a cell will only store a string, whereas a CellTag will let you store anything. Your method is similar to how we were forced to do it before CellTags were introduced.