User Screen UI size

[quote=393523:@Alberto De Poo]One thing to consider if you are setting the minimum resolution: the task bar.

If you start with 1366x768, maybe some information will not be visible (behind the task bar).

I think the user’s resolution is important for people that don’t know (yet) how to create a resizable UI. It is great that there are plugins and add-ons that can help with resizable UI but not everyone can/want to go with those.[/quote]

Good point. Also, on Windows you can position the task bar on the side of the window as well, and make it larger. Not that I have seen a lot of users do this, but probably needs to be accommodated for.

I put my task bar vertically on the left side both on Mac and Windows and I can immediately tell which applications (not necessarily ones written in Xojo) have not considered that the absolute left of the screen may not be the usable left. I have to dig the window out from behind. One application I use that is specific to my job doesn’t even bother to save the position, so I have to move it every time I start it. Frustrating.

Same here. A good app should save size and position. A very good app also saves layout and other UI settings like column widths for grids.

And doesn’t just restore the last saved size and position without also making sure those are still valid coordinates in the current display configuration. For example, when last closed the window was on a secondary monitor which is no longer available. Or was bigger than the current monitor. (For example, a laptop that was docked and now is not.)

I’ve gone to validating the numbers before restore, and if no longer valid allow the window to start in the default size and position in my app as if opening for the first time.

Hello Michel,
an application was developed on my squared 19" (1280x1024) desktop.
Tested on notebook DELL 13" (1366x768) the window bottom is hidden…, unusable !
What xojo provide about this subject ?

This issue is more and more frequent, as a good content of laptops today are but glorified tablets. Such is the case for Microsoft Surface, which 10" screen cannot really do justice to large number of points.

The same happens with current Mac laptops, which are usually comfortable with a 1600 points high screen.

I had to refactor all my MAS apps to take that into account.

You can certainly use RubberViews as a lazy solution to accommodate all screens, but all depends on what you have in your window. If there are a lot of controls, the result may not be very pleasant.

Michel,
my program contain lot of controls, textfields, labels, listbox, canvas , etc In this case : you say the result may be not present.
Perhaps the solution is to design the the window on smaller screen, let say 15" !?

I can only urge you to consider refactoring the UI in two smaller windows.

Perhaps instead of using a smaller screen to work, which is inconvenient, just make sure your windows don’t exceed 1200 x 765. That way you know they will render well on anything, including Windows tablets.

Cramming quantities of controls is not recommended for clarity, anyway.

If you ever design iOS or Android apps, you will have to learn how to use more views, to accommodate the smaller real estate.

1 Like

I have modified my window to make width more large then Height.
It’s good lesson for me encounter this problem.
Thank you Michel.