User Screen UI size

From the 2012 and after the statistics for Users Screen Resolution is 1366x768 (laptop) almost the 17%…
Any opinions about the best UI size to start for app in Xojo?
What UI size you use most for the end user?
Do you use resizable UI ?
Full-screen-Button?

it should be based on the device… limited only if the particular UX (user experience) is not affected by a smaller portal

And exactly what do you mean by this statement? Xojo has no affect on the resolution… are are you saying that newer laptops have a greater screen resolution (failing to mention that different laptops are different in this respect as well)

Maybe my questions was wrong I have re-edit the first post…
The screen I use is 32 and 27 and I don’t have small screens.
What is best UI to start as MINIMUM 1024x768,1366x768 or 1280x1024 ?

my answer remains the same…
why do you want/need to limit the window size?

I have systems with 19", 13", 27" and 22" inch screens, and the apps I write maximize the use of which ever it is running on

Another great ux discussion topic ruined by someone always trying to be “right”

[quote=393471:@Loannis Kolliageorgas]Maybe my questions was wrong I have re-edit the first post…
The screen I use is 32 and 27 and I don’t have small screens.
What is best UI to start as MINIMUM 1024x768,1366x768 or 1280x1024 ?[/quote]
I try to ensure everything fits within 1024x768 because that’s the most common screen size (still). We have larger screens these days, but there’s no reason to take up all that space if you’re not utilizing it.

My test Windows machine has even less vertical space available, so if I can go smaller I try to.

It seems weird with today’s huge screens, but you still want to design like someone out there is using 800x600 because there’s a chance someone is.

[quote=393472:@Dave S]my answer remains the same…
why do you want/need to limit the window size?

I have systems with 19", 13", 27" and 22" inch screens, and the apps I write maximize the use of which ever it is running on[/quote]
Thank you Dave
if I start the UI with 1024x768 I have 3 listbox and same other controls
If I start the UI with bigger window size I have more space for controls. and I know about the max UI size can be unlimited to the user screen…

Here are some interesting stats: Browser Screen Stats

1366 x 768 is a popular resolution because it is used in many laptops.

[quote=393469:@Loannis Kolliageorgas]Do you use resizable UI ?
Full-screen-Button?[/quote]

Yes, and yes. You should make sure your screen scales appropriately. Design for smallest intended screen then make sure it scales up properly and looks good and controls are positioned properly.

[quote=393469:@Loannis Kolliageorgas]Any opinions about the best UI size to start for app in Xojo?
What UI size you use most for the end user?
Do you use resizable UI ?[/quote]

On first run my app starts 1200w X 700H. App layout, position, and size are save when quitting and used next time the app starts.
My layout is resizable with a minimum window size of 865x420. I use resizable panes because my customers keep requesting to see everything in one place. This enables the app to be usable on a small screen while still utilizing large screen setups.

Here is a gif of the project I’m currently working on. The pane on the right still needs some work.
I have a similar one in production.

[quote]Here is a gif of the project I’m currently working on. The pane on the right still needs some work.
I have a similar one in production.[/quote]

Really nice UI @Neil Burkholder
The resizable panes is custom or plugin ?

Rectangles of:
1280x768 will fit in the top 5 most used screen sizes
1280x720 will fit in the top 10 screen sizes. Except… number 6: 1024x768
1024x720 will fit in the top 10

I just try to fit ok in 1024x720, but needing more screen real estate, I could rise to 1280x720, and after until 1280x768. I would do whatever necessary to cram things in this top 5 container window, like paging or sliding content.

Unfortunately neither.

Neil, you are using a pre-2018r1 edition, don’t you?

No. The details can be found in this thread. :wink:

https://forum.xojo.com/43442-flicker-free-apps-on-windows/0

I recommend RubberViews. It has come pretty handy for me. I have no affiliation to the product. And I do try to fit inside 1024x768.

+1 on RubberViews

WRONG !

It is populat because it is low cost, used to build entry level laptops… I even saw some TVs with that resolution :frowning:

Hmm, the initial question was simple and clear, in contrast to the rest of this conversation.
My answer would be: start with 1366x768 , yes, yes.

One thing to consider if you are setting the minimum resolution: the task bar.

If you start with 1366x768, maybe some information will not be visible (behind the task bar).

I think the user’s resolution is important for people that don’t know (yet) how to create a resizable UI. It is great that there are plugins and add-ons that can help with resizable UI but not everyone can/want to go with those.

I had to contend with Windows smaller windows in RubberViews. Typically, if you design at 1366x768 and for some reason the user scaled, so only 1024x680 or so is available, the window will open at that smaller resolution. If you don’t make provisions for that use case, the app will probably become unusable.

On Mac, the window can be larger than the screen.