URLConnection exception error 12029

If the following line:
postResult = SendSync("POST", serverURL, postTimeout)

generates this exception on a Windows server:
12029: Impossible d’établir une connexion avec le serveur

I try to catch the exception by using a try/catch structure, pause for a short time and then try again but it doesn’t work as the error does not appear to be cleared by the 2nd call as I hoped it would.

My class is based on the URLConnection with a method called to trigger the action:

Var serverURL, postResult As String
Var retryDelay, postTimeout As Integer

If DebugBuild Then
  retryDelay           = 20       // delai en secondes! pour tests!
  postTimeout          = 10       // temps en secondes d'attent de réponse au POST
Else
  retryDelay           = 300      // delai en secondes! pour laisser Planificateur de tâches le temps de relancer VHM_WebAPI
  postTimeout          = 120      // temps en secondes d'attent de réponse au POST
End If

serverURL              = App.postServerURL

Try
  postResult           = SendSync("POST", serverURL, postTimeout)

If ResultError <> 0 And ResultError <> 401 Then
    VHM_LogInfo(0, POSTBody.ToString)
    VHM_LogInfo(0, ResultError.ToString + " – " + ResultErrorMessage)
  End If

Return postResult

Catch err As RuntimeException
  // MAC: -1004: Could not connect to the server.                      ==> SI VHM_WebAPI ne répond pas!!!
  // WIN: 12029: Impossible d’établir une connexion avec le serveur

If err.ErrorNumber = -1004 Or err.ErrorNumber = 12029 Then
    DelayMBS retryDelay
  End If

End Try

Try
  postResult           = SendSync("POST", serverURL, postTimeout)

If ResultError <> 0 And ResultError <> 401 Then
    VHM_LogInfo(0, POSTBody.ToString)
    VHM_LogInfo(0, ResultError.ToString + " – " + ResultErrorMessage)
  End If

Return postResult

Catch err1 As RuntimeException
  // MAC: -1004: Could not connect to the server.                      ==> SI VHM_WebAPI ne répond pas!!!
  // WIN: 12029: Impossible d’établir une connexion avec le serveur

If err1.ErrorNumber = -1004 Or err1.ErrorNumber = 12029 Then
    Return "ERREUR RESEAU"
  End If

End Try

The larger picture is that the POST is directed at a server that sometimes goes offline for a few minutes, never more than 5 minutes or a few seconds more. The timeout value is of no use as the exception occurs immediately.

The only solution I can think of would be to have all calls to this class handle the delay and fire off the request again, but this would require significant changes everywhere this occurs in the application.

Suggestions are clearly welcome. TIA.

It is my understanding that as soon as a URLConnection is in error, you should use a new one to re-send.

Only successful connections can be re-used.

Moreover I believe your app can be locked to any user interaction when using SendSync, someone else might be able to elaborate on this, I don’t have enough experience with Web projects on this matter.

2 Likes

I had pretty much reached the same conclusion so I will investigate other approaches. Thank you!