Unzipped Plugins - still possible?

[quote=475467:@Arnaud Nicolet]Here’s a path to one dylib file contained in my setup:
/Applications/Xojo 2019 Release 3.1/Plugins/MBS Xojo VLC Plugin.xojo_plugin/Build Resources/Mac Cocoa/MBS_VLC_VLC_Plugin_20159.dylib
Does that path look correct?[/quote]
I think the path should be like the following:

/Applications/Xojo 2019 Release 3.1/Plugins/MBS Xojo VLC Plugin.xojo_plugin/MBS Xojo VLC Plugin/Build Resources/Mac Cocoa/MBS_VLC_VLC_Plugin_20159.dylib

You’re missing a parent folder to “Build Resources”. I think someone mentioned in this thread (or another?) that the standard macOS “Archive” utility will sometimes skip a parent folder if it is the same name as the archive, or something like that.

I hope that helps.

Thank you.
I compared Christian’s screenshot and figured the same thing (thus, I edited the message you quoted).

Still thinking counter intuitive that files are directly in the “Plugins” folder while folders are in a sub folder, albeit all having the same “extension”.

[quote=475488:@Arnaud Nicolet]Still thinking counter intuitive that files are directly in the “Plugins” folder while folders are in a sub folder, albeit all having the same “extension”.

[/quote]
The actual layout is the top level Zip file containing the actual plugin content folder. So Xojo is treating the .xojo_plugin like a folder more than a file.

Yes, seen like that, it becomes logical.
But, when you convert plugin files to folders, you have to remember to add an extra sub folder that you may not expect during this particular task.
Thanks.

Mac Carbon Mach-O ?

No, that’s not relevant here.

Taken from Xojo 2019r3.

Care to explain ?

[quote=476436:@Emile Schwarz]Taken from Xojo 2019r3.

Care to explain?[/quote]
What was taken from Xojo 2019r3?
I can’t explain if I don’t know what you’re talking about, sorry.

A folder called Mac Carbon Mach-O in the Plugin folders.

and you wrote:

That is why I opened a plugin (the last from the vue as list)… to know what unexpected folder it was ! :wink:

[quote=476438:@Emile Schwarz]A folder called Mac Carbon Mach-O in the Plugin folders.

That is why I opened a plugin (the last from the vue as list)… to know what unexpected folder it was! ;)[/quote]
Well, no. I was talking about the folder right inside the “Plugins” folder, which enclose all the items of the bundle, not a folder inside the bundle. You may read this thread to read what this discussion is about (I just realise “thread” and “read” end the same; would it be a suffix? ?).

Here’s version 2 of the script, which handles Finder Aliases and makes a backup of plugins in a “Plugins_Backup” folder. It’s also using a hard-coded pathname so you can save it as a .command file and just double-click it in the FInder to run.

#!/bin/bash

# UnzipXojoPluginsV2.command
# A script to uncompress plugin archives to have Xojo load them faster.
# see https://forum.xojo.com/57793-unzipped-plugins-still-possible/2019/1
# by Michael Diehr 
# Thanks to Jim Mckay and others for creating the original script.

# be sure to chmod +x this script file

# Changes from earlier versions:
# - Now properly handles Finder Aliases (the kind you get with command-option drag)
#   this is useful if you like to keep your Plugins elsewhere
#
# - Is non-destructive - plugins (real or alias) are always moved to 
#   the Plugins_Backup/ folder
#
# - can be double-clicked: if you save this as a .command file (and chmod +x it)
#   then you can simply double-click it in the finder to run it

# set the path to your Xojo app here:
ROOT="/Applications/Xojo/Plugins/"

cd "$ROOT"

# a backup folder where we move originals, so this script is non-destructive
backups="../Plugins_Backup"
mkdir -p "${backups}"

for f in *.xojo_plugin
do
  if [[ ! -d "${f}" ]]
  then
    echo "Processing ${f}"

# if the xojo_plugin file is a Finder alias to a file elsewhere on disk
	# handle it differently
	fTruePath=`osascript <<EOD
	set toPath to ""
	tell application "Finder"
		set toPath to (POSIX file "$ROOT/${f}") as alias
		set theKind to kind of toPath
		if theKind is "Alias" then
			set toPath to ((original item of toPath) as alias)
			return posix path of (toPath)
		end if
	end tell
	return ""
	EOD`

if [ "${fTruePath}" ] 
	then
		echo "ALIAS: ${fTruePath}"
		# for an alias, we have to move the original alias file to get it out of the way
		mv "${f}" "${backups}/${f}"
		mkdir "${f}"  # create the _xojo_plugin folder
		# unzip directly from the original file (not the alias) to here
		yes | unzip -d "${f}" "${fTruePath}"
	else
		# this is not an alias file, handle it right here
		echo "FILE: ${f}"
		mv "${f}" "${backups}/${f}"
		mkdir "${f}"  # create the _xojo_plugin folder
		# unzip directly from the file in the backup folder to here
		yes | unzip -d "${f}" "${backups}/${f}"
	fi