Avoiding accidental quit from the IDE

As a workaround, reassign the key for Quit through Preferences?

(I haven’t tried this.)

Repeating tests with Xojo 2021 R2.1:
a. Launching IDE: 23s
b. Opening my project: 28s
c. Preparing plugins:0s (preparing plugins only happens on first run of IDE)
d. Compile and run (250+ items): N/A (my app won’t compile in this version yet)

So I don’t think it’s the version of Xojo which matters.

If we focus simply on step (A) : Launching IDE - it’s taking 4.9x as long on your machine than mine. The only thing I can think of would be a different set of plugins, or some other problem, such as antivirus software mucking things up?

OK, you are right about the “prepare plugins”. I had noted that since I just added a plugin. However, the 10+ minutes doesn’t include that.

I have no anti-virus software running. I’m using 2021r2.1. I do switch off Turbo mode whenever running Xojo since it’s the only software that makes my fans howl. With it switched off, the computer fans are largely silent. I will try the same experiment with Turbo mode on. I do not have any optimization settings other than the default, and that would only affect compile time on builds.

I have c. 50 plugins. Mostly assorted MBS and Einhugur plugins. I can only think this is the issue. I will try temporarily removing them all and see what transpires.

lots of plugins are known to slow down xojo
also lots of not-up-to-date plugins slow down xojo even more.

All of my plugins are recent.

The main issue I have is loading the project (6+ minutes). It’s saved in text format suitable for Git. I wonder if that might be the issue.

I will run some tests when I have a chance.

Your project: 890 items, Text, loads in 364s.
My project: 250 ish items, a mix of Text and XML formats, loads in 25s.
Your project is 3.5x as big as mine but takes 14.5x as long to load.

That’s probably quite relevant.

Also, if you want to try pre-unzipping your plugins, I wrote a shell script to do it (semi) automatically: Unzipped Plugins - still possible? - #51 by Mike_D

Edit to add: if you have the 2019 16" MBP, there is apparently a problem where using an external monitor causes the GPU to run hot: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/16-is-hot-noisy-with-an-external-monitor.2211747/

How do you count the number of items in a project?

When you compile, it shows up in the progress bar. I don’t know exactly what is being counted.
Example:

I have three 27" monitors attached. However, Xojo is the only app that consistently makes my fans howl. Since (AFAIK) the GPU is not used in the IDE (apart perhaps in the LLVM code generation and linking phase) I don’t think it’s an issue here.

Thanks you Mike!

Older Xojo versions (perhaps named otherwise) used to have a warning for that. It eventually disappeared without warning in one release; a feature request has already been done years ago. Have you not found it before creating your case?

Well, I let Turbo mode running, and apart from fan noise, it had a bigger effect than I thought:

IDE Launch: 1:28
Open project: 3:37
Compile & run: 1:23
TOTAL: 6:28

Better than 10:15 for sure. I was sure Turbo mode only made a few percent difference, not 37%. I guess I’ll learn to live with fan noise.

I did note that the majority of IDE launch time was dealing with plugins. I will try the unzipping trick.

I searched but didn’t find it. I guess my keywords weren’t up to the task.

Well, if the other one wasn’t already closed, they’ll probably just close either one as duplicate :wink:

Or both :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Could be. Would be very unpleasant, though.
I can’t think of a good reason to avoid showing a warning in such cases.

Right, but since the GPUs and CPUs share common fans, if your GPU is running warm, it can make the system appear more sensitive to the CPU usage. It would be intersting if you did a test with Turbo mode but without any external monitors just for fun. (I’m using the 15" 2019 MBP with Vega 20, which I think doesn’t have the same CPU heat issues that the 16" model does).

Also, curious to see if the unzipping plugins helps, as your startup is still quite a bit slower than mine.

this time for todays pc’s is abnormal … its like driving Ferrari with parking brake …
it should take seconds …

2 Likes

For me on my Intel iMac Pro with three projects, all for the same app, stored in Binary format:

IDE Launch: 1:01 (limited MBS and Einhugur plugins)
Open project (31.1 MB Desktop): 0:25
Open project (16 MB Web): 0:47
Open project (8.7 MB iOS): 2:00
Compile & run (Desktop): 0:23
Compile & run (Web): 1:13
Compile & run (iOS): 3:36
TOTAL (Desktop): 0:48
TOTAL (Web): 2:00
TOTAL (iOS): 5:36

Interesting that the smallest project in MB (iOS) is by far the slowest to launch and compile.

If you have this problem regularly my friend wrote an app that might help:
https://qblocker.com/

QBlocker is a small, free menubar app for OS X that stops you from accidentally quitting an app. It works by blocking OS X’s default CMD + Q keyboard shortcut and forcing you to hold to quit.

4 Likes