Unneeded Changes

Why does Xojo change that all the time?

3 Likes

This os happening all the time also with tabstop = “True” or tabstop = True

Xojo seems not to have this sorted one way so say without space between the brackets instead of with and without. Also with the tabstops true/false values i would expect it to be without quotes since but Xojo doesn’t use a standard they just change alot.

It’s super inconsistent and annoying even since alot more review work is required to not push unnecessary changes in git projects.

3 Likes

Yes, completely agree and I see this a ton too! It’s super annoying when committing to your favorite VCS.

Has anyone filed a bug on this one yet?

1 Like

This was reported many times and Xojo did work on make it to happen less. The most recent I can find, but it was auto-closed:
Issue #73523 - Somehow whitespaces are added for CompatibilityFlags

Edit: added my 2 cents and asked @StefanA to reopen the Issue.

People who switch between ide versions see this a lot, but if you just keep moving forward with your projects, it should eventually just stay one way.

2 Likes

Unfortunately this isn’t true. I do exactly what you suggest, and the IDE loves to flip these compatibility flags back and forth between more spacing and less spacing. I’ve never been able to find a pattern.

3 Likes

I agree with that. I very rarely change versions. the current projects - in which I have had this more often - have never seen another Xojo version.

Just as a test, I ran DirtyAllProjectItems and SourceTree reported 374 changes.
Closed the project and did again, now 21 changes.
Closed the project and did again, 1 change, now is always one change, jumping from this:

to this:

and back each time.

Should I expect, if I don’t change to Xojo2024r1 when released, that working with this project will not change anything else (with spaces to no spaces for example).

As at work some of us work with Mac and others with Windows, we see some changes too, I remember the line endings in some things \n\r or \n

1 Like

Well no. And it should be fixed and be consistent for once. It’s a serious issue and doesn’t seem to be taken seriously enough.

2 Likes

:handshake:

1 Like

I agree. I think it was mentioned a while ago at an MVP meeting, but I’ll stress it again at the next one soon.

4 Likes

Are you saying that you created the projects with Xojo2023r4 without importing any code? Well, that goes my theory.

Without revealing any trade secrets from your time as an Xojo employee - can you provide any insight into what’s happening here? It feels like the IDE is using two or more different serialization schemes but that just seems so unlikely.

1 Like

Personally I turn off whitespace matching in my git client and just ignore the problem.