Universal Binary compatibility with old versions of MacOS

if it’s signed adhoc, one another machine it’s not just about getting around gatekeeper on the other machine?

When I just googled this and posts said that the OS only checks to make sure it was signed so it can assure teh code has not been modified, but at that time it does not check validity of the any certificate at that low level… The certificate validity check remains at the gatekeeper level.

If true, that would imply if an exe is signed adHoc, it could be run on another M1 the same way one would run unsigned code on an Intel Mac.

-Karen

I did not see your reply before I posted… But that means it would be useful for (for citizen developers at least) for the IDE to be able to optionally adhoc sign the final compiled app. One less bit of arcane voodoo needed for the non-pros!

-Karen

1 Like

Interesting reading (and an interesting picture of a cat :grin:).

I’m noting something wrong there, though:
“In practice creating ad-hoc signed binaries is only of practical value for Apple developers.”

Is Xojo the only non-Apple tool using this technique? I highly doubt.

In practice there is no value at all with adhoc code signing.

Except even a Xojo debug app wouldn’t run on M1 without signing.
(doesn’t mean this is a “value”, though)

Don’t confuse Ad-Hoc code signing with Ad-Hoc code signing. It is easy for people to choose the wrong Ad-Hoc code signing, causing the inability to access certain Apple services from within your application.

Now I’m confused. What shouldn’t I confuse?

3 Likes