UDP checksum

I need to use udp protocol for a project where its also require to check the checksum of the data received. Going through the udpsocket references i can not find whether it has any option to do the checksum or not? what are the header included in udpsocket? is there any way to access the header? typically TCP contains checksum in header which i guess xojo tcpsocket does the checking. Is there any way i can send my own checksum or other validation technique on top of udp ?

not an expert… but I thought the whole concept behind UDP was it was a “Hail Mary” protocol… either you got it or you didn’t, and if you didn’t then “oh well”… where TCP knew things went wrong,and asks for a “do over” until it gets it right

Send and forget protocol.

@Dave S TCP certainly ensures data reliability where udp does not. reason of choosing udp is to make transfer faster yet need to ensure the data received is valid. seems lot to ask from udp .
If anyone implemented additional protocol on top of UDP please do share some insight. like i want to add a checksum byte with the original packet. is it possible?

[quote=407963:@Russel Imran]@Dave S TCP certainly ensures data reliability where udp does not. reason of choosing udp is to make transfer faster yet need to ensure the data received is valid. seems lot to ask from udp .
If anyone implemented additional protocol on top of UDP please do share some insight. like i want to add a checksum byte with the original packet. is it possible?[/quote]

You can send your own CRC with data

Thanks for all the reply. [quote]You can send your own CRC with data [/quote] Thats what i am doing now but instead of CRC i am sending checksum with the data. But i want to be sure that UDPSocket does not have any checksum feature in its communication protocol. If it already has such feature i dont want to do a double job. Instead i can add the CRC with data.

Another query: What are the error detection or validation protocol included inside TCP header . As Xojo handles it on its own i can not know what type of header protocol is included? is there any reference available?

Please research the UDP protocol… as the answer to your question (which has been eluded to a few times)… is NO

UDP provides a checksum, but that is handled by lower level communications layers before Xojo ever sees the packet. If the packet fails the checksum, it is discarded, so if you get a packet, then the data is intact.