Tutorial for converting web app to 2.0?

Is there a tutorial for me to read that goes over what I would need to look over, in terms of code to change, in my Web 1.0 app after it is converted to Web 2.0?

Iā€™m not sure if anyone has written a conversion tutorial. Iā€™ve seen tons of tips here from folks that have needed work arounds for things they used to easily do in Web 1.0 that donā€™t exist in the same way in Web 2.0.

For me I went the route of starting fresh and recreating an app from the ground up because opening a web 1.0 project in Xojo 2020 or 2021 was a mess. I spent at least a week on just learning the ins an outs of modifying a bootstrap template to my liking starting with a style that was close to what I wanted so that the Toolbar looked like what I created in styles in Web 1.0. This has made me a lot less productive at first but now that Iā€™ve gotten one simple app under my belt it is getting easierā€¦ except for new bugs that were unexpected like WebImageView and Canvas firing twice for the pressed event.

2 Likes

The same thing happened to me, Tom!

Hi Ralph!

I took the path of remaking my app from scratch, to learn WEB2.
I am not going back to the first version. I have more advantages on the new platform. Especiallyed with the use of data management.

I recommend you take the same path. You can improve your code at the end of the project. I improved and decrease my old code.

2 Likes

Xojo Blog: Converting Web Projects to Web Framework 2.0

2 Likes

Great tutorial for me to follow. I think Iā€™ll first try to convert my 1.0 project to 2.0, following this tutorial, and see how that goes. If itā€™s just too cumbersome, Iā€™ll follow Tom and Joseā€™s suggestion of working the ground up on it.

1 Like

My tutorial would be short and crisp: donā€™t do it, start from scratch ;-).

Web2 is just a complete different beast. And thatā€™s not bad per se and starting from scratch, doesnā€™t mean that you have to rewrite everything!

But especially for the front-end I bumped into some ā€œstrangeā€ issues when I initially tried to convert web 1 projects (basically things not working as expected, but when drawing it from scratch it all the sudden did work). Consequently I would suggest to draw all the GUI stuff in a fresh new project. Of course you can still copy and paste a lot of your main logic.

Iā€™m convinced that re-doing it in a systematic way simplifies your life and it is easier to test, than a project with tons of errors, where you have to wait until you fixed all of them before you even get into the situation to be able to debug your app again ;-).

8 Likes

I agree. For the UX itā€™s a refactor not a port. I would do the UX in Web 2 from scratch and keep the business logic and data access in Web1 as a Web service. Makes for better security too.