ToolStyleSeparator

isn’t this suppose to draw a vertical line between toolbar items?

If I use ToolStyleSpace I get a nice wide space… but with ToolStyleSeparator I get nothing

Dim btn As New ToolButton
  btn.Style=ToolButton.ToolStyleSpace // or ToolStyleSeparator 
  btn.Enabled=False
  rbToolbar1.Append btn

Apple has removed that toolbar style as of Lion… You can create a vertical line icon and use that in a disabled button to get the same effect…

You can also create an empty (32 x 32 or 64 x 64) image file and use it as separator. Be sure to isolate this for Cocoa only if you cross compile since ToolStyleSeparator works fine on Windows XP.

For more explanations, see the Workaround part of the bug report: 28239 (closed: by Apple design).

I don’t think is a good idea to override the Apple defined behavior.
One of the strong point of Xojo is to use native controls, so why spoil this?
Drawing separator where they shouldn’t be will make an application which will look different from other Mac applications. Also, what happen if with a future release Apple will decide again to show the separator, perhaps with a different look?
An app with a fake separator will always show the fake separator, while other apps which honored Apple UI Design Guidelines will show the new separator and still will appear as other applications.

Massimo,

I don’t think is a good idea to override the Apple defined behavior.
100 % right.

I want to be able to group icons that goes to the same categories (as per that document), but how can I do that ? Once I got the answer: removed by Apple in OS X x.y.z, I downloaded another copy of “OSXHIGuidelines.pdf” and started to read it.

I saw many appealing things (around ToolBar / ToolButton) in the Human Interface Guidelines (whatever its current name is) yesterday or so, but I do not know how to do them.

Taking into accound of XOJO IDE interface: you have one, two or three tool buttons on left, some empty pixels (10, 20, 100) another bunch of icons, another empty location and at last (right of window) we can see a bunch of icons.

Have a look at “UserGuide-Fundamentals.pdf”, page 36, figure 2.27. I think this is nice.