Toolbar icons in MS Window apps are gigantic

I know there have been topics on this, but there doesn’t seem to be a clear resolution unless I missed it. The macOS build is fine, but I noticed the icons in Windows 10/9/8/etc come out as Fisher Price sized. I am using an image set that is 128x128, 256x256, and 384x384.

Is there a Xojo IDE solution to this? Do I just use 64x64 icons on both builds?

Under MacOS, the OS resize the icons, but like my answer below, you4d better use the correct size: no need to increase your application foot print.

This talks about icons on macOS:
https://developer.apple.com/design/human-interface-guidelines/macos/overview/whats-new-in-macos/

Under Windows, and you are surprised to get the icon at this size ?

Unless someone will give you the correct way, use a far less sized icons (24 or 32, I forgot, sorry) or better, search on Microsoft web site the correct size.

1 Like

I would agree with this.

Those are huge images.

It should be a 32x32 and a 64x64 image, for optimal performance. You might find that your window opens faster on the Mac as it is not having to cast such large images to a NSImage, and then push that NSImage to the GPU only to resize it down and draw it.

You could also consider 16x16 and 32x32 for smaller icons on the macOS, especially with Big Sur’s “Unified” toolbar.

384 x 384

I do not noticed it at first.

Remember the first Macintosh ? The screen resolution was 512 × 342 pixels…

But I noticed this is 1x, 2x and 3x

I hear some M1 MacMini users running 11.2 and LG 4K display are also enjoying this resolution every-time they wake their Mac…