Timer default mode is multiple, why?

I’ve been wondering for over decade now, why the default mode for a Timer is multiple. This is the mode I least often use, and as far as I understand the use of timers, it should be the mode least often used.

What gives?

I always instantiate timers in code… There it defaults to off… But when you put one it on a window it does defaults to multiple… never noticed that before…

But I don’t think it should default to single either. I can’t see much of a point to putting a single shot time on a window…

So IMO it should default to off so it does nothing until you tell it what you want it to do!

• Karen

If you’re going to put one on a window, multiple makes the most sense to me. Why would you drag a timer onto the window just to make it inactive? Single-shot timers are the exception in my experience. My guess is that for everyone you find that thinks it should be one way, you’ll find somebody else who thinks it should be the other way.

I agree.

Probably so, but defaulting to OFF would be consistent with the default mode of the object when instantiated in code.

But not consistent with the philosophy of the RAD aspect of the IDE. If you drag a control onto a window it should use the most useful default values. In this case, that’s multiple.

Perhaps, but considering RAD, this seems insignificant compared to the time wasted implementing events. If RAD is the goal, then they should not make us waste time manually adding Action events to objects like Timers and Buttons.

just make your own timer subclass with the default you want and place it in the windows when you need it

These should all be combined: