Timeout waiting for output from CGI script

After some updates (can’t even pinpoint which ones) I can no longer get my previously running WebApps (cgi) to run. Browser just waits, and error log has this warning:

Timeout waiting for output from CGI script myURL

Any ideas what would cause this?

To help figure it out, I am starting out with a very simple app - a single page with label (“hello world”). This app hangs as well.

Using GoDaddy Virtual Server, Linux.

That error indicates that your app launched and either quit or crashed immediately.

Did you change the version of the IDE since the last time you built? It’s possible that the lib requirements have changed.

[quote=241529:@Mark Pastor]After some updates (can’t even pinpoint which ones) I can no longer get my previously running WebApps (cgi) to run. Browser just waits, and error log has this warning:

Timeout waiting for output from CGI script myURL

Any ideas what would cause this?

To help figure it out, I am starting out with a very simple app - a single page with label (“hello world”). This app hangs as well.

Using GoDaddy Virtual Server, Linux.[/quote]

If you have kept the older executables, it would be worth a try.

Would it be possible that GoDaddy changed the version of the OS ?

I’ve gone back and recompiled with 2015r2.1 and 2015r2.4 - both are now failing with
client denied by server configuration: /home/jomarkadmin/public_html/scgi-bin/

in case it helps - url is jomark.com/scgi-bin/test/newhometest.cgi

Previous tries were at same location but direct in the scgi-bin/ directory. Added /test/ in case history was creating problems. Also kept clearing history on both firefox and chrome. Also turned off cpHulk - even though my client ip is whitelisted, in case that was creating some issue.

Is it possible to provide some hints on what libs I should be looking at?
But don’t forget, other cgi apps on same server are still working (different domain).

@Michel Bujardet Would it be possible that GoDaddy changed the version of the OS ?

And there may have been some OS updates - but other cgi is working on same server.

Ah, in which case, it may be that cgi apps are not allowed to run from the test folder.

Unfortunately, I am having a pretty chronic issue not getting any newly uploaded CGI app to run on any of my domains, even though the existing CGI apps are doing fine. But very scary, because I can not afford for those to go down, if I don’t know how to get a new one up and running.

That seems pretty obvious to me. I’d go look at the server config and make sure it is set up to run cgi apps in the directories you are putting them in.

That said, you should make sure you’re compiling cgi as opposed to standalone, and that you’re building for the right platform.

Also, you can see the current system requirements at:

http://developer.xojo.com/system-requirements

Looks like the app is running now. This is pretty common from my standpoint. Usually its an identical application identifier causing the issue or an existing app still running. We built a clever way to update CGI apps to mitigate the latter issue: http://www.dev.1701software.com/blog/2013/09/08/upgrading-xojo-cgi-apps

Note that I am extremely biased but GoDaddy is not an optimal host. I would consider Xojo Cloud or others.

Someone, please delete these stupid spam link farms …

Done

Thanks. Fresh air. Good :slight_smile: