"This window contains 1 bindings"

I have a variable that the compiler says does not exist. I’ve defined it in a window as Super: ListBox - the same way I’ve defined other variables - which the compiler is happy with. But in the window’s picture there appears in red, the message “This window contains 1 bindings”. What does that mean? And would it have something to do with the compiler’s insistence that my variable does not exist?

Bindings are are an old feature that no longer exists… Is this in an old project?

Yes. This is an application that I wrote in ten years ago. I’m trying to update it by “stair-stepping”. I’m currently using RealStudio2012r2 (or maybe r1?) on Mac OS X 10.5.8.

No it means your project contains a binding
This was

• a means of setting up in the IDE data to move into / out of list boxes
  • a means of having controls enable / disable etc based on the status of other controls
    What version of RB is this project from ?
    Bindings have been deprecated for a very long time

In 2012r2 select the window that has this message showing
Then select View > List Bindings and this will give you a list of all the bindings on the layout
They won’t stop your code from compiling BUT they also won’t do anything
Make note of what each binding does from the behavior column as you’ll need to replace that behavior (most are very simple to replace the behavior)
Then delete them after you have the new code working

I don’t know the RB version that I created this with. The “Get Info” for my compiled program says 11.2 MB created 11/27/11. I’m currently editing it with RS 2012 Release 2. I don’t even know what a “binding” is!

I’m surprised that a variable can be defined in the window screen rather than in the program screen for a window. But that seems to be what I have done - and it has worked in the past. Maybe I can specify the variable in the program scree as, say

dim OwnersList as listbox

(The “Help” on RealStudio is useless - if I search for ListBox it returns nothing!)

[quote=85660:@Tom Bisbee]
I’m surprised that a variable can be defined in the window screen rather than in the program screen for a window. [/quote]
I’m not sure what this means

In 2012r2 open your project
Click on each window layout in it and see if any show the message in red letters “this window contains bindings” or something like that in the upper left
When / if you see that message select View > List Bindings and this will give you a list of all the bindings on the layout
They won’t stop your code from compiling BUT they also won’t do anything
Make note of what each binding does from the behavior column as you’ll need to replace that behavior (most are very simple to replace the behavior)
Then delete them after you have the new code working

Then you aren’t using the Language Reference correctly. The listbox listing in the LR from any version contains a long and detailed explanation.

Roger,

You are correct. I don’t know what I was looking at. Sorry!

Can I just say: I miss bindings. That is all!

The idea isn’t a bad one - the implementation was the issue

Norman,

Under View, I listed bindings and nothing happened. One would think that it would say “none found” if there were none - it didn’t say anything!

Tom

I assume you did this on the window that has the red notice saying it contains one binding
You should get a sheet dialog showing what bindings exist

Send me the project privately and I’ll have a peek
norman@xojo.com