The Feedback Points System

Can we talk about the whole Web Feedback system too? I hope that it doesn’t become a mini-forum and anyone can hijack the reported case. Maybe allow the original poster to approve other users’ comments on the feedback case they created?

How about closing a case? I think it could be a good idea to let the original case creator close the case. No need to wait for someone else to close their case.

How about clear rules for the feedback web app? Until recently I didn’t know that there are other metrics Xojo use to consider feedback cases (besides points), like how many people added the case to their favorites and subscribed to the case by using:
If Xojo reviews the points assigned, the number of people that added the case as favorite, the number of people that subscribe to a case to evaluate if that bug is important for a considerable number, then that must be clear.

I have seen several people creating good reports and offering help on other cases that may not be bugs. How about giving a few additional points or case priority to them? Some people are able to find bugs more easily and document them correctly. Taking notice of their cases will allow them to feel that their effort is being considered and appreciated, instead of feeling that Xojo is not paying attention by staying in ‘Needs Review’

Closing cases: I have seen several of my cases being closed because I didn’t make myself clear and my problem was misunderstood. How about not closing the case and ask the person that reported it to give more information before closing a case? For example, one of my cases was closed, then I contacted Javier and talked with him about the case, he was not able to reproduce the problem either, after some interaction the problem didn’t show with Safari browser and only with Chrome. There is another case that was closed recently because the staff saved the project using Xojo project or XML format and the problem is present only if the project is saved as Binary.

Ask for reopening cases: only on rare occasions, a case is reopened. If this feature is problematic for the staff put in the rules that we must open a new case with new information and not request to open a closed case.

Allow feedback users to change the visibility of their case and change it from pre-release to release if the case still presents the bug on the release version. Some cases that can only be seen by pre-release testers contain workarounds that may be helpful to people that are not testers.

Keep internal records to avoid cases to stay in ‘Need Review’ for a long time. You should not have cases in ‘Need Review’ for months, take a look at case <https://xojo.com/issue/59827> it was reported in April and still ‘Needs Review’ there is a forum post here. I understand that the Xojo users using Chinese or Japanese configurations are low and the problem may be hard to fix, but at least someone from the staff should be able to reproduce the problem and change the status. In the new web feedback system, a ‘workaround’ note could be displayed as to use English (in this case) but the status should be ‘Reproducible’ at least. Also, give information as to what we should do if our case stays in ‘Needs Review’ for more than X time (days/weeks).

That’s it for now. I hope this helps to create a better system and keep improving Xojo.

2 Likes