Thank you for Supporting me and stand my ranting!

Xojo, inc. had no Idea what they are doing when they started to change everything in xojo. Only thing they got was there Idea of programming in basic near Visual Basic. And this they try to keep alive. API2.0 was a real step, Web 2.0 was the next step. Renamings of commands without any sense behind (msgbox to messagebox) and changing syntax to many different syntax styles you may find in xojo making the business even harder.

So I decided to switch my Devices away from a xojo standalone Webserver to a B4J Desktop App with Apache Guacamole on Raspberry PI 4 and my customers agreed to change with me. So we can develop our solutions and do cross platform apps also and have the chance to rework our code for native Android and IOS use.

I am sad because of the behavior of xojo and their Ideas of development. We will have small Apps in the market but not anymore our core business written in xojo for GUI. It makes problems and errors will not be fixed, development under Linux with xojo is much slower than developing B4J under Linux with Wine emulation.

Beside this fact: B4J copy paste works under Linux, xojo not. It is not to understand why they behave so. When I just tried the Windows xojo with codeweavers crossover I got that the Windows IDE is even with Wine under Windows is faster and more stable than the native Linux Version. And with the compiled Software I have the same issues at the end: doing benchmarks with Linux and Windows, Windows is faster…and do not tell me that is founded on Linux. Doing the same with C++ Linux wins all the time with at least 10% better performance.

So: how to decide for xojo? If it is a small Webapp, uploading or downloading some stuffs, xojo is a good solution for. If it is a complex app with rich functionality xojo will not be the right choice. That’s what happened the last years. In the behavior of xojo, in there Idea of changing stuffs and in the end also because xojo was not getting how to do stuffs correctly.

Thanks to all which where supporting me in the last years in the xojo scene. It is a hard decision for me because it makes me sad to smash 5 or six Manyears of development in the trashcan but there is no other way because of the outstanded errors and not corrected IDE problems.

Banning writing on a topic will not rescue the situation. And no: I will not rant anymore, I will still stop using xojo what is decided. Within one year there will not be any xojo device outside anymore.

2 Likes

Thorsten, I think you’ve made your point many times, in multiple threads. I will leave your message in place but lock the thread. Just a reminder that this is primarily a user-to-user forum, here to help each other out.

19 Likes