TextArea trouble on ContainerControl

This is in 2019r2 under Mojave.

I have a ContainerControl that I put an instance of on a PagePanel. In particular, on the CC is a TextArea and, contiguously underneath it, a ListBox. I’ve deleted and recreated the TextArea, but now it doesn’t display when I run the app.

There’s a couple of odd things with the CC’s layout in the IDE when I select the TextArea:

1. The ListBox has a red border that I can’t seem to get rid of, even if I move the TextArea off the CC.

2. The four “Order” buttons on the layout toolbar (e.g. Order Front) are greyed-out (when I select another TextArea, these buttons become live)

3. I can’t move the TextArea with the mouse (but I can move it by changing such as its Top or Left values in the IDE)

And if I select the ListBox, I can move that with the mouse and then the TextArea moves with it, just as if they were grouped together as in a drawing program.

What have I done here?

when do you see that ?
that usually indicates that the control with the red frame thinks its a parent of the selected control
in this case the listbox believes its a parent of the text area and so you might need to unparent the text area

that usually means its already front most, rear most or the only control so it cant be moved forward or back

[quote=457425:@Tim Streater]3) I can’t move the TextArea with the mouse (but I can move it by changing such as its Top or Left values in the IDE)

And if I select the ListBox, I can move that with the mouse and then the TextArea moves with it, just as if they were grouped together as in a drawing program.
[/quote]
the text area is “parented” in the listbox somehow

I have a project that did the same as what Tim describes… moving the control would NOT release the parent… so I finally had to put “me.parent=nil” in the open and release it myself (which caused other issues)

you might be able to unparent it right in the IDE with a right click depending on what version you’re using
I know I added that sometime ago before I left

I noticed "some"things have an “initial parent” and others don’t

I think what happened here is that when I created the control I dragged it from the Library over to where the ListBox was, and then positioned it by setting Top, Left etc. By this time it was too late.

I still haven’t found how to break the linkage after the fact so I deleted the control and this time, dragged from the Library to a spot on the IDE background, off the CC altogether and then carefully positioned it. It’s much better behaved now.

The docs are a bit thin on this parent malarkey. Right-click didn’t reveal any magic option, BTW.

in the IDE right click the text field and select unparent