TextArea - LinenumAtCharPos etc.

I added a link to my post above.

all that is at the link is a ton of “C” code … with no other real information, but thanks

Hi Dave,

here you can find a minimalistic example of an implementation of TextInputCanvas in Xojo. I agree with you, all previous wishes to the Xojo team, to provide a good documentation of the plugin, unfortunately remained unheard of. Maybe the Demo Project will help you.

[quote=414125:@Martin Trippensee]Hi Dave,

here you can find a minimalistic example of an implementation of TextInputCanvas in Xojo. I agree with you, all previous wishes to the Xojo team, to provide a good documentation of the plugin, unfortunately remained unheard of. Maybe the Demo Project will help you.[/quote]
Thanks Martin… I actually found that a few minutes ago… however :frowning: it doesn’t compile

You need to install this plugin into the Plugins Folder!

I did… and restarted Xojo… and more compile errors than I can count…

If they wanted this to be “Top Secret” why leak it to begin with

I didn’t get any compile errors with 2018r3 and the 64bit MBS Xojo TextInputCanvas Plugin.
Also, I’m curious who said they wanted it to be “Top Secret” ?

Well if it were something that were not such a secret, then there would be documentation available… what it was, what it did, how it worked, why you should want to use it, how it is better that something else

And the error I got… were This item not found for the most part,… but others as well… pages and pages

What items were not found? That usually suggests the plugin didn’t load, especially if you got a BUNCH of errors for it.

My main two guesses if the plugin didn’t load:

1. Double check that you have the 64bit version. MBS is the only one who compiled it 64 bit, but it doesn’t require an MBS license to use.
  2. Translocation fun, but if you had any, the other plugins wouldn’t load either.

I know you’re not a big fan of plugins, so just in case you didn’t know about it you can check which ones were loaded successfully by going to the Xojo menu, selecting About Xojo, and clicking the Loaded Plugins tab. If you don’t see TextInputCanvas there, it didn’t load for some reason.

1. I used the plugin that Martin pointed out… which was from MBS
  2. I doubt this is an issue, since it is built/run locally… not a download… unless you mean it translocated the plugin itself?
  • first off… TIC1 on WIndow1 implements the event “MouseDown”, but its superclass TIC does not declare such an event

• if I remove that then all h*ll breaks loose

• TIC1.invalidateTextRects() // no such member

• TextInputCanvas // can’t find type with this name

• tons of “This item doesn’t exist”, “You cannot implement a non-existant Event”, “Type Mismatch”

117 total compile errors (not counting the MouseDown

That right there tells us the plugin didn’t load.

Edit:

[quote=414149:@Dave S]2. I doubt this is an issue, since it is built/run locally… not a download… unless you mean it translocated the plugin itself?
[/quote]
Xojo.app itself gets translocated sometimes and can’t access the Plugins folder.

Ok… and how can I force that to happen… beyond putting it in the folder with the other Xojo supplied ones?

That is the only way to load a plugin. What are you doing right now?

Edit: You can nest it deep though. My plugins folder has a folder for MBS, Einhugur, and then project specific ones if necessary. So, it doesn’t need to be at the Xojo/Plugins level, but it must be somewhere within.

that IS what I did…

FYI… according to the “About Dialog”. it isn’t loading ANY plugins

This is good news! It usually means that the IDE is translocated. Remove the quarantine flag and it should work.

Edit: xattr -d com.apple.quarantine {Drop Xojo.App here}

Well… uh… no

• Xojo.App is on my “Drive 3”
  • so I went to terminal, navigated to the directory where Xojo.App was
  • typed in

xattr -d com.apple.quarantine xojo.app

and restarted Xojo… still no plugins (not even the Xojo supplied ones), but it did seem Xojo loaded a split second faster

For giggles, I went back to terminal and executed the command once again.
This time it returned with

xattr: Xojo.app: No such xattr: com.apple.quarantine

So I assumed that meant it had worked the first time around

I keep Xojo on my boot drive in /Applications. I’m not certain if running it from an external may be the source of your issue? At least you know what the issue is now! But I’m sorry, Dave, unfortunately I don’t know where to go from here in terms of debugging.

Maybe shoot hello@xojo an email?

FYI… I have an almost working version based on a TextArea, a few canvas and a timer… Loaded 10,000 lines and it scrolls the text and linenumbers as smooth as silk :slight_smile: