System.Debuglog location in Console

Hey all,

Where in console do you find the system.debuglog messages? I wish Xojo’s docs would say this. I always forget and no searches have helped…

In the default System.Log window ?

Inside many other lines, search carefully, you will find it.

Or you can read them in the IDE.

No. They are not in System.Log.

IDE isn’t helping me. I am having a problem where my program is locking up and so is Xojo. Even after forcing quit from the app being debugged, Xojois locked up. So I need to look at my logging output since Xojo is locking up…

No, it’s not because I get nothing in console because I have a ton of debug log messages in the app prior to the crash.

What version of MacOS are you running? They changed the way Console looks/works a while back.

The real question is “Does it works with a test project with two or three lines ,”

El Capitan; yes, this is a while back :wink:

I am downloading files, once finished, I will reboot with High Sierra and report here (I do not know how many times it will end to download the around 250 files (300 KB each) @ 115KB/s.

Emile - Thank you but this discussion is not helpful. I’m looking for someone who knows where the data is stored in Console with High Sierra and newer.

Thank you.

I don’t need a test project with 2 or 3 lines. I know I have debug log data…

What version of macOS are you on Jon ?

High Sierra

I can find the crash logs. So those are there. It’s the ones written with system.debuglog that I can’t find anywhere…

High Sierra + Xojo 2019r3.1:

DebugLog works fine in Xojo. Not found yet in Console.

Used code:

System.DebugLog "Mouse Down at " + Str(System.MouseX) + ", " + Str(System.MouseY) + "."

I will continue for some minutes while download is running…

[quote=486753:@Emile Schwarz]High Sierra + Xojo 2019r3.1:

DebugLog works fine in Xojo. Not found yet in Console.

Used code:

System.DebugLog "Mouse Down at " + Str(System.MouseX) + ", " + Str(System.MouseY) + "."

I will continue for some minutes while download is running…[/quote]

Yep. Good luck finding it…

what IDE are you using ? those should show up in the lower pane of the IDE itself - just for a quick look (the one that looks like the wifi indicator

Apple changed some system logging frameworks and that may have been what affected Xojo
I forget what version they did that in (maybe 10.12)
https://developer.apple.com/documentation/os/logging?language=objc

I dunno if the System.Debuglog or System.Log got updated to use NSLog or was using something older like ASL
https://developer.apple.com/library/archive/documentation/System/Conceptual/ManPages_iPhoneOS/man3/asl.3.html

but that might explain whats going on
the older API dont seem to generate output console sees

[quote=486756:@Emile Schwarz]Yes, thanks to you, I found it in System Log:

Apr 30 23:41:08 MacBook-Pro-de-Emile Xojo[591]: objc[591]: Class XOJBevelButton is implemented in both /Applications/Xojo 2019 Release 3.1/Xojo.app/Contents/Frameworks/AppearancePakCocoa.dylib (0x112fabb50) and /Applications/Xojo 2019 Release 3.1/Xojo.app/Contents/Resources/Internal Plugins/RBAppearancePak.xojo_plugin/Appearance Pak/Build Resources/Mac Universal/AppearancePakCocoa.dylib (0x119d28b50). One of the two will be used. Which one is undefined.

I copied the whole Console report, pasted it in TextEdit and search for Xojo.

Now you have your answer. Sorry to bother you.[/quote]

[quote=486756:@Emile Schwarz]Yes, thanks to you, I found it in System Log:

Apr 30 23:41:08 MacBook-Pro-de-Emile Xojo[591]: objc[591]: Class XOJBevelButton is implemented in both /Applications/Xojo 2019 Release 3.1/Xojo.app/Contents/Frameworks/AppearancePakCocoa.dylib (0x112fabb50) and /Applications/Xojo 2019 Release 3.1/Xojo.app/Contents/Resources/Internal Plugins/RBAppearancePak.xojo_plugin/Appearance Pak/Build Resources/Mac Universal/AppearancePakCocoa.dylib (0x119d28b50). One of the two will be used. Which one is undefined.

I copied the whole Console report, pasted it in TextEdit and search for Xojo.

Now you have your answer. Sorry to bother you.[/quote]

I am not sure I understand what you just posted but those aren’t debugging log messages

This is the last Xojo entries in DebugLog while I fired Xojo (wojo install).

[quote=486757:@Norman Palardy]what IDE are you using ? those should show up in the lower pane of the IDE itself - just for a quick look (the one that looks like the wifi indicator

Apple changed some system logging frameworks and that may have been what affected Xojo
I forget what version they did that in (maybe 10.12)
https://developer.apple.com/documentation/os/logging?language=objc

I dunno if the System.Debuglog or System.Log got updated to use NSLog or was using something older like ASL
https://developer.apple.com/library/archive/documentation/System/Conceptual/ManPages_iPhoneOS/man3/asl.3.html

but that might explain whats going on
the older API dont seem to generate output console sees[/quote]

They do. But it doesn’t help me when the IDE locks up during debugging. I’ve been having a crash in a CURL thread today that I’ve never seen before. It doesn’t just lock up the app but Xojo locks up too. I have to force quit Xojo.

It’s 2019r3.1

I don’t want Xojo entries. I want the entries for my app.

Sorry: click in the Macintosh entry (first entry in the left pane).

I forget to click in the application’s window (it’s late here, midnight).

A click entry:

par défaut	00:02:43.709781 +0200	Test.debug	Mouse Down at 179, 333.

I have tons of looging in my app that I can turn on and off
Not one of the messages sent with System.Debuglog call shows up in Console here
I checked every possible entry in Console

That is what I’ve done (bottom to top, an error, obviously 'cause it is the first entry).

Since macOS 10.12; you have to go to console, enter the name of your app in the search field.

Then you run your application.

Because somehow thats better than running your app and then looking in Console.