SVN Client?

Can anyone recommend a good SVN client that plays nice with Xojo, and is graphical?
I have one client wanting me to use SVN, and it’s been about 2,000 years since I used it. I’d like to find something as convenient as SourceTree.

Suggestions?

We use SmartSVN

@Chris Halford —You should insult your client. Always a good strategy :slight_smile:

I’ve used Syncro SVN for a long while
Biggest upside is that since its java based (so yeah it has a bit of a fugly UI) is that I can use the exact same UI on macOS, Windows & Linux

Wasn’t SmartSVN the super ugly Java app where I couldn’t even find out how to add a repository?

For the Mac:

• Cornerstone: terrible license for a good product.
  • XVersions: cheap but not very many features
  • Versions: I had a question for the support and didn’t get a reply back. App deleted.

I’m a massive fan of Gitkraken. It’s graphical, supports a plethora of Git services and cross-platform. They also just released an update that gives some significant performance boosts. I’m a “Pro” user, but I used the free version for quite some time, and it is adequate for most needs.

I use Versions on Mac. I had a question for support and they got back to me right away, and helped me debug a SSL issue that wasn’t really their problem. The app is still running pretty great on Mojave.

On macOS, I’m using Xversion - SVN | Subversion Client for Mac.
It’s “graphical” and kind of similar to SourceTree.

On Windows however, I prefer a “Windows Explorer Extension”. So I’m using Tortoise SVN on that Platform.

I too have Versions from Black Pixel, but today I noticed that Black Pixel has been acquired by Hypergiant Space Age Solutions on 18 December 2018 .
Maybe I am blind, but I can’t find any information about the future of Versions and Kaleidoscope on their website.

I use a combination of Versions and Xversion on Mac and TortoiseSVN on Windows.

I use Cornerstone on Mac. I bought it quite some time ago on MAS. Since then they seem to have moved to subscription…
Great app though. https://cornerstone.assembla.com

why would anyone even consider using something other than git?

Why are they so many Linux flavors ?

Probably same answer.

Because git is vastly more confusing and bewildering than most others ?
So much terminology that seems so similar
Pull and Fetch … wtf is the difference ?
I know what it is but try & explain it to someone who has never used version control

SVN is a lot simpler to explain to someone new to the entire concept

Because the basic Linux answer seems to be “WTF ? Fork it !”

In this case, the OP’s client is still using Subversion so the decision has been made. Keep in mind that Git was only created in 2005 and wasn’t widely used until years after that so there are plenty of older codebases using other version control systems.

For anything new, I’d personally choose Git over Subversion these days.

I have found that Visual Studio Code does a really good job of dealing with SVN including handling diffing and merging Xojo code. And, you can open a terminal and run commands right inside of Code.

I still maintain a CVS repository for the bulk of my C code - just because it works. The team here knowns how to use it and that is the most important part of any solution.

We did shift our Python and Xojo code bases to SVN and it’s almost as usable as CVS. But, since I’m a CLI fanatic, I don’t get much mileage out of any GUI for these things. I did try WinCVS for Windows for a while (TCL/TK), but I end up so much more efficient with SVN and CVS from the command line that I never went back.

As for GIT, I’m with Norman.

[quote=442703:@Chris Halford]Can anyone recommend a good SVN client that plays nice with Xojo, and is graphical?
I have one client wanting me to use SVN, and it’s been about 2,000 years since I used it. I’d like to find something as convenient as SourceTree.

Suggestions?[/quote]

Xversion

Huh? Not many features?

I’ve began to use Xversion after Cornerstone changed their license. I can tell you from my own experience that it has at least the same features as Cornerstone. Even shelving.

@Marc van Breemen: Now and then I need to look at the Timeline window in Cornerstone and export an older version of a class. How do I do this in XVersion?

I could do a copy-and-paste from the Compare window in XVersion. But the Timeline window in Cornerstone is visually much better.