Storing a Xojo project and associated files remotely

Hi,

I’ve searched the forum but cannot find the answer to my question.

I am a one man developer moving to Xojo from Filemaker.

I use a laptop from clients / coffee shops and a Mac setup with a large screen at home.

Is there any way that I can work on a Xojo project that is stored remotely?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Rod

@Rod Pascoe — Well it really depends on your situation. If you are the only developer well yes you can access the whole project from anywhere and everything (including images…) is embedded in the binary file format. So as long as you have a decent connection, you shouldn’t have any problem.

The recommended way, no matter if you are working in a large team or as a one-man company, would be to use Xojo’s project format in combination with a VCS like gitHub or similar.

Images pictures etc are NOT stored in the binary, or any, file format
References to those items are

Even then I would be VERY cautious about using something like dropbox etc as running & building to those sorts of online services is VERY problematic because of how they work.

Ulrich’s post is dead on.

One of the things that you can do if you wish to make sure that your project is “self contained” is to use the “File” -> “Collect Project Items” menu option. This will copy all of your external assets (images, external modules, etc.) into the project folder. After you’ve done that step, import the project folder into your version control system. You can now check out your code on your working systems and check in changes to keep everything synchronized.

Thank you for your replies. I’ll use the container system from now on.

Is Git the only recommended remote storage solution?

[quote=455777:@Rod Pascoe]Thank you for your replies. I’ll use the container system from now on.

Is Git the only recommended remote storage solution?[/quote]
Git or SVN are systems that all developers should be using for all projects they do not intend to throw away. There are other version control systems, but these two are the only ones really worth considering.

Thank you @Thom McGrath