Started My Journey!

Just finished up Chapter 7 of the book and I am loving Xojo! I’ve been posting on the Xojo Reddit sub daily and I’m about 5 days in. I’m finding the language and IDE thinks how I think so things are clicking for me quickly. I’ve been able to sort out all my issues on my own so far as well. But the biggest thing is I am having a lot of fun with this language! I’m able to do so much so quickly and I can’t wait to get further in for the advanced stuff. Obviously, if anyone has any tips I am all ears as it were!

20 Likes

Glad to hear it. Your experience mirrors mine and, I suspect, a lot of others too.

As you inevitably encounter roadblocks, please raise them here. You’ll find this community is eager to help.

4 Likes

Thank you! Definitely helps to give me a bit of confidence knowing I’m treading on a similar path as others

Welcome, @John_R_Luko! Xojo is indeed fun and empowering, and as Kem mentioned, this community is super-helpful

4 Likes

Thanks! I look forward to interacting with the community!

Searching this forum will give you tons of useful tips and tricks and teach you a lot about Xojo.

What book?
Barry

PDF, that is updated regularly by the Xojo team, for free and it’s pretty good actually. Gives you enough to get started, but forces you to do an occasional lookup or entices you to go a bit further by letting your imagination think of things you’d like the program they provided the code for to do by adding your own stuff.

Thanks John, I’ll check it out.

Barry

1 Like

Happy to report I have finished the book! I was very happy with it because it covered a lot of topics other languages don’t touch in their beginners literature. My favorite part of the book was them covering making a custom component. I was floored to see that and can see various possibilities for it. Tomorrow I begin my database redesign and maybe begin my Xojo Web App to replace a job tracker I built with Django for work.

Any other book suggestions for a beginner?

1 Like