Split Function

I have a string of data 4 columns wide, tab delimited with end of line character at the end of each line. I thought I could use the Spilt function to split this into an array but it only does 1D arrays. What are my options? I assume loop through and use mid to split the lines out and then split by tab?

Get an array of lines with input.Split( EndOfLine ), then loop through those and aLine.Split( tabChar ). You can then assign each value to a 2D array if you’d like.

A specific end of line character should be used for the call to Split and not EndOfLine, since the latter is platform-specific.

Right, I should have written input.Split( eolChar ) since this was illustrative code.

Thanks Gents

By the way, in the M_String module on my web site, there is a very fast EndOfLineOf method that will tell you what the EOL character of an existing string is. It looks like this:

Protected Function EndOfLineOf(src As String, defaultEOL As String = "") As String
  // Finds the end of line of a string.
  // If there is no end of line character found, returns the default, even if the default is nothing.
  // Break it down to bytes rather than doing a repeated search. The first byte that matches will
  // end the search so it will be faster than using InStr or even InStrB and trying the wrong EOL
  // character first.

// Note that if the text contains a stray linefeed or return (a gremlin), the result could be incorrect.

#pragma BoundsChecking False
  #pragma BackgroundTasks False

// Convert the encoding to make sure the byte comparison for the EOL characters works properly.
  // In UTF-8, bytes that represent ascii characters are only used for that purpose.
  // Only convert if the encoding is not UTF-8 and it has multibyte characters.
  dim origEncoding as TextEncoding = src.Encoding
  if origEncoding <> Encodings.UTF8 and src.HasMultiByteChars_MTC then
    src = src.ConvertEncoding( Encodings.UTF8 )
  end if

// Optimization -- See if the last byte is an EOL
  // If so, reduce it to the last 2 bytes
  dim lastByte as integer = src.RightB( 1 ).AscB
  if lastByte = 10 or lastByte = 13 then src = src.RightB( 2 )

dim mb as MemoryBlock = src
  dim p as Ptr = mb
  dim lastIndex as integer = mb.Size - 1
  dim eol as string

// Work backwards in case the string ends with an EOL character, saving a bunch of time
  for byteIndex as integer = lastIndex downTo 0
    dim thisByte as integer = p.Byte( byteIndex )
    select case thisByte
    case 10 // linefeed 
      // See if it's preceded by a return 
      if byteIndex <> 0 and p.Byte( byteIndex - 1 ) = 13 then
        eol = EndOfLine.Windows
      else
        eol = EndOfLine.Unix
      end if
      exit

case 13 // carriage return 
      eol = EndOfLine.Macintosh
      exit

end select
  next

if eol = "" then // Nothing found, so set it to defaultEOL
    eol = defaultEOL // No encoding change
  else
    eol = eol.ConvertEncoding( origEncoding ) // Convert it back to the original encoding
  end if

return eol

End Function

Thanks Kem, I’ll take a look at that…