Specific debuging details

Is there any way I can get more specific debugging details other than OutOfBoundsException? I find myself fiddling around with MsgBoxes to find out exactly what is OutOfBounds. When OutOfBounds code is detected by the IDE and highlights the line of code where the error occurred. Is there a way of finding what array is being used that is OutOfBounds without stopping the IDE to make changes to the code to debug it.

I honestly feel that I probably should know debugging to a high level, with the time period I have been programming in Xojo for. I have been programming in Xojo for about a year and a half and I have gained no experience in and have never used threads. The only use I see with them is to perform multiple tasks which are kept running over a certain period of time. Could be wrong? Please could someone assure on that?

Thanks

Webinars are your friend - Paul has put in so much good work to make this stuff available!

YouTube Webinars
Debugging Webinar

1. Use System.DebugLog “String” rather than MsgBox
  2. Ensure “Break On Exceptions” is selected in the Project menu to find where exceptions occur, when they occur
  3. Don’t forget you can use the Break command to stop program execution and enter the debugger at specific points in the codebase. (only impacts when running from the IDE as opposed to built apps)

But check out the debugging webinar, would be an hour well spent

Also check the docs out. The Framework userguide (more of Pauls excellent work!) has a whole section devoted to debugging.

[quote=80204:@Patrick Delaney]Webinars are your friend - Paul has put in so much good work to make this stuff available!

YouTube Webinars
Debugging Webinar

1. Use System.DebugLog “String” rather than MsgBox
  2. Ensure “Break On Exceptions” is selected in the Project menu to find where exceptions occur, when they occur
  3. Don’t forget you can use the Break command to stop program execution and enter the debugger at specific points in the codebase. (only impacts when running from the IDE as opposed to built apps)

But check out the debugging webinar, would be an hour well spent[/quote]
Thanks.

Threads are also a nice way to prevent loops from freezing the UI.

In the conversation https://forum.xojo.com/10513-cases-where-app-doevents-would-be-used the example of an endless loop using app.doevents could be managed by a thread without app.doevents.