Some Xojo apps are much slower on Sierra

Normal. Retina requires much more memory shoveling.

https://youtu.be/hShY6xZWVGE

Yes. Dictating long passages of text is MUCH faster than my typing, even correcting for my mistakes.

So I’ve been looking into it this morning, well they certainly don’t make it easy for you.

1. I can’t find the launch agent or launch daemon called “com.apple.nowplayingtouchui”, I’ve even used Find Any File and it’s either a sub agent buried within an agent or it’s well hidden.

2. I did find a launch agent for the touchbar, but when I tried to disable it, I’m told that I can’t do ■■■■ until I disable SIP.

Can’t disable System Integrity Protection on this machine as the menubar also shows “Language Chooser” with zero options.

Update 3:
I had to restart into recovery mode 3 times before it would give me the “Terminal” option. I’ve now disabled SIP and disable the Touchbar agent.

No longer that console message, but instead my console log is flooded with launchAgents that have an architectural performance issue and should be used. Or inherently inefficient.

Seems like every single Apple LaunchAgent suffers from performance or inefficiency, in Apple’s own words. There also appears to be some fighting between several system frameworks vying for the same API.

btw; this on a partition which has nothing but a clean install of Sierra.

Update 4:
Oops, forgot to show how I disabled the touchbar UI messages. In the terminal I entered:

launchctl -w /System/LibraryLaunchAgents/com.apple.touchbar.agent.plist

This was of course after I had disabled SIP.

@Sam: There are launch agents with a plist file. But this isn’t required.

You are doing very strange things to your computers. I have an older MacBook Air (2013, 4 GB RAM, 10.12.2 beta) which isn’t showing anything what you described. The Air starts snappily. My Xojo app works okay. No strange (well, stranger) console messages at all.

If you mean wiping the partition and installing Sierra from the Apple supplied installer, then yeah that’s strange!

I only started digging because it’s running slowly and I noticed that every ten seconds the machine is trying to launch a process related to the Touchbar on a non-Touchbar machine. So I tried to prevent that to see if it would improve the responsiveness of the machine.

My dev machine is stock El Cap and for the near future will stay that way too.

[quote=300786:@Richard Nicolella]64bit NonRetina -> Retina
El Cap 60 -> 2847 = 47X
Sierra 120 -> 3140 = 26X

32bit NonRetina -> Retina
ElCap 55 -> 3815 = 70X
Sierra 314 -> 4497 = 14X[/quote]
A little scary this is; Sierra is up to 6x slower than El Cap with non-retina.

Accepted :smiley:
But wasn’t the dictation feature implemented before Siri?

Yes, these were my findings too. Console doesn’t give me a real hint. After the clean install, things were behaving nicely for some time, and they do after a restart too. But then, and I have not found out what app might be causing this, sooner or later launchd starts to respawn things, although not as hefty as before when my iMac sometimes idled at around 25% CPU (sic!).

Best is to keep console closed because diagnosis data accumulates wildly at times, and then all the alerts about deprecated calls. Sierra feels a lot like a Beta, although I reverted to the latest “stable” release.

I have had a chance to look into this and it can be sped up somewhat for some workflows. It would help to have an actual project or application instead of a micro benchmark that would be trivial to optimize.

Really awesome Joe, can you share any tips or reasons as to what might be causing the slow down?

Looks like I won’t be upgrading to Sierra for a little while. Possible Xojo issues/optimizations aside, Apple desperately needs another Snow Leopard release. No new features, no UI changes, no new apps. Just fix bugs, improve performance, and reduce the memory footprint.

I doubt extremely much Apple will stop its one year release cycle. Worse, it is now evident they are making iOS and mac OS converge. Which BTW explain some of the issues in Sierra.

For better or worse, Mac developers destiny is tied to Apple’s decisions. We cannot absolve ourselves of our breadmaker. That is why I work under Sierra, because I rather address potential issues now rather than too late.

I used to share that opinion; and weathered the OS updates and the crap that came with them. But with Sierra, once I realized how many App Wrapper customers were struggling with code signing on Sierra (we’re still finding things and adding work arounds now). I just couldn’t bring myself to do it.

Not that El Cap is perfect; far from it. IMHO and I know that any issues in it will never get fixed until I migrate to Sierra :frowning:

I had a terrible time re-installing my dev certs on my new MBP. Especially the Developer Application ID cert - revoking wasn’t possible and resetting didn’t work either (with and without Xcode). Luckily I had a very old backup of the private key for that cert, I managed to get it up and running on Sierra (took me many hours).

When you have issues installing your dev certs on a CLEAN Sierra instalment and a NEW machine, please make sure have a backup of your private keys. Otherwise it is about impossible to make it work on Sierra.

BTW use Keychain Access and right click/Export to make a backup of the keys/certs.

You know, the worst part is when you start getting reports from customers that something is wrong. And of course rare are those that pinpoint what is going on. Because no matter what, they will be using the system that Apple installs on new machines. If you haven’t thoroughly tested your stuff under that new system, you will probably never know.

BTW Apple is not alone : I also work with Windows 10, for exactly the same reasons.

I just wrote a more real-world test app that really demonstrates the terrible Sierra graphics performance. I added it to feedback case 46020. I Check it out. There’s not much to the simple grid-control in there, yet it’s already a dog under Sierra.

I hope this can be resolved. Also, can anyone suggest a workaround approach to a grid control like this? This has always worked for in the past. Sierra is the first OS release since I started using RealBasic 1.0 that has rendered my grids useless. :frowning:

Sierra = 160ms
El cap = 135ms

Not a big difference here.

Not sure about the “useless” part. It is far from unusable on my mid 2011 21.5" iMac @ 2.5 GHz.

Using the cursor, 233 Microseconds is not even one millisecond. I call that still quite acceptable.

Let us hope Joe can indeed find some workarounds, and that Apple will optimize things sooner rather than later.

[quote=300601:@Richard Nicolella]I boot the same MacBook Pro in Sierra and ElCap and the difference is striking.
[/quote]
That the same app performs fine on one OS then slow as heck on the other should give you some idea of where to send the bug report

Hint : TO APPLE :stuck_out_tongue:
They really need another Snow Leopard release

[quote=301327:@Norman Palardy]That the same app performs fine on one OS then slow as heck on the other should give you some idea of where to send the bug report

Hint : TO APPLE :stuck_out_tongue:
[/quote]

While that is true, if Xojo inc should address it or not depends on if other tools (particularly Xcode) produce apps with the same issues… If yes then it’s totally in Apple’s court. If not then the Xojo Mac framework needs to be reworked in that area. I have no idea which is the case or if it’s something in-between.

[quote]
They really need another Snow Leopard release[/quote]

I agree.

• Karen