Some code changes are not saving in High Sierra

[quote=353875:@Sam Rowlands]So Apple replaced a 27 year old filing system, effectively overnight.
[/quote]
While they released it to you and I “overnight” iAPFS has been in development for far longer - you know that
Its not like they sat down in Jan 2017 and said “we need a new file system you have 6 weeks” :stuck_out_tongue:
They told devs about it at WWDC 2016 and didn’t release it to the wild until just now
I dont know anyone at Apple that could give me details about when they started work on this but I’d bet its a few years before 2016 even

This one does surprises the heck out of me
Esp since, like you said, they should expect that some people will have issues but … hey thats Apple
Everyone has brand new Macs with SSD’s in them already - right ? So design for that :stuck_out_tongue:

BTW: one thing I forgot to say is that… I installed High Sierra (beta) in a blank external HD (not SSD: none available here). I made testing in that conditions: boot on the beta (external HD) ONLY.

Then, like I wrote above, I do not downloaded the GM nor the two following dot something evolutions.

Nota: my internal SSD (251MB) is always nearly full so when I will replace El Capitan with High Sierra, I will have to make a real backup first.

That said: Jason where are-you with your trouble ?

I’ve been bit by this more than a few times in recent years. Sometimes Xojo will simply not save an event, usually the most recently added event. Other parts of the file will have been written fine, so this isn’t a file system issue.

Unfortunately, I haven’t been able to find the pattern.

If you have two versions of the same project, one saves properly, the other doesn’t, and if they’re saved in binary format, try using my Arbed app to compare the two projects. Turn on “Show minor diffs” in the menu, and maybe even do the “Raw compare” to see every piece in detail. Maybe that helps to see what’s different and causing the issue.

I would like to add to this.

I recently upgraded to High Sierra and was having no issues with xojo, saving or any other file system stuff. I recently changed the name of the directory where all of my xojo projects were saved. I saved in xojo after I had moved them out from under xojo control not really sure what I was expecting to happen. In other mac apps like numbers it keeps a reference to where that file is saved and no matter where you move the file, it still saves in the same place. I did a bunch of work then xojo crashed. Usually its, not a huge deal, I Just reopen xojo and carry on where I left off. Much to my sadness, about a week of hard work was gone.

I looked through all my backups, (dropbox, timemachine and github) nowhere could I find my missing code and not once did I get an error or any hint that it wasn’t truly saving. I deleted the entire folder and resaved as a xojo project (for src control) Checked the files and confirmed that it was saving. I continued on and then I closed and reopened the project only to find it had not been saving again.

I did some experimentation and found that adding or removing large parts of a “xojo project” that save in their own file (like classes and modules) will write to disk. However, small changes like lines of code and methods will not write to disk.

Can anyone confirm this is happening?

Now that we know about project marzipan, iAPFS makes sense. For better or worse, iOS is coming soon to a Mac like yours :s

Apart from Alex’s feedback, I see that this thread dates from October. The behavior has improved on High Sierra or do you still see problems that you didn’t have on Sierra? (feedback from Thom also seems to indicate that the problems described here predate High Sierra)

I have never had this issue before High Sierra, I jumped right from El Capitan to High Sierra though.

Definitely predates High Sierra. And it still happens. I think it is related to file locking. I’ve been getting into the habit of quitting GitHub Desktop while I’m not actively using it, and that seems to help.

For example, if I select a modified file to do a diff, then use a Xojo app to write to that file, I get a 104 error. Once I select a different project or quit GHD, I can write to the file again.

So I suspect the issue is that the IDE is ignoring these errors during a save.

Ahh interesting, thanks for the info. If it would at least give me an error that it failed saving I would know not to close the project. Right now it gives you a false sense of security, making you think that you have saved.

I guess checking the file that is not saving with GHD would make it worse. Who would have guessed, didn’t know GitHub locked files, thought it was passive.