SNMP Example

I am planning to pull the Signal Strength and CCQ Value of WiMAX and Nano (AirOS) devices using SNMP.
Because i am not used to SNMP i would like to ask if someone has an example. I am looking for a very simple solution which is able to send an OID via UDP to an IP-Address an receive the Integer Value.

I already have it working using pbsw-SNMP 0.9, but i hope for an even simpler solution. :slight_smile:

There’s the snmpget command line tool, part of Net-SNMP : http://net-snmp.sourceforge.net
(included with OS X, available for Linux and Windows)

Personally, I would use pbsw-SNMP, but I am biased. :slight_smile:

[quote=194581:@Sascha S]I am planning to pull the Signal Strength and CCQ Value of WiMAX and Nano (AirOS) devices using SNMP.
Because i am not used to SNMP i would like to ask if someone has an example. I am looking for a very simple solution which is able to send an OID via UDP to an IP-Address an receive the Integer Value.

I already have it working using pbsw-SNMP 0.9, but i hope for an even simpler solution. :)[/quote]

http://linux.die.net/man/1/snmpget

I would use snmpget also since it’s natively installed on linux and OS X. Do you need this for Win targets also?

[quote=194767:@Mike Cotrone]http://linux.die.net/man/1/snmpget

I would use snmpget also since it’s natively installed on linux and OS X. Do you need this for Win targets also?[/quote]

Yes, Windows is primary, OS X is also targetet.

And i want to achieve it without a 3rd party programm. :slight_smile:

The only pure Xojo SNMP classes I have ever seen are mine (pbsw-SNMP). I thought they were as straightforward as possible, but it has been many years since the public released version. If you are looking for more features, I have pre-release / transitional versions available, but they will appear more, not less complicated, as they add support for SNMP v2c and v3, some MIB parsing, and other goodies. The only caveats are that a lot of it is not fully tested, and the new work is in transition, so the API is still going through some changes.

Yes, please. I am very interested and would like to help by testing it.
Thank you Paul for providing such a nice tool for us all. :slight_smile:

I’ll review the state of things and do a little cleanup. I’ll also send you a PM with my email address.

Thank you @Paul Messias

@Paul Messias
Hello Paul, I’ve been using pubs-SNMP successfully, but am running into problems when compiling 64-bit.
Although I get no errors, I do not get any replies on the socket after I successfully send a message.
Under 32-bit, it all works fine. Is there an update to make it work in 64-bit compiled Mac Apps?

I haven’t looked at the code in a while - if I have a chance I will, but it may be as simple as replacing all use of integer with int32.

And likewise UInteger with UInt32

@Paul Messias Do you have any updates available ? I am quite interested in this

I haven’t had any chance to go over 64 bit issues yet, but if you are looking for a newer (unreleased/minimally tested/undocumented) version from what is publicly available, PM me.