SmartData™ for SQLite (Now free)

SmartData™ v2.1.0 is now available for download.

With this version you can quickly plot line charts of your data using the “Charts” icon on the toolbar.

No scripting is required to plot your data, and you simply select the columns you want to plot with the click of a button.

Below is a chart of some accelerometer data that I logged on my iPhone to a SQLite database, while I was jumping up and down. (Just don’t ask why I’m logging acceleration data of me jumping up and down with my phone if you want to stay in the realm of sanity).

Hope you enjoy this new data visualisation feature :slight_smile: If you do have any specific data visualisation requirements, please send through your feature requests using the Feedback button on the toolbar.

Release Notes:

[Fix] Added back notification to commit changes before editing table.
[New] Added update menu item.
[New] Plot line charts with data.

Happy querying.

SmartData™ v2.1.1 is now available for download.

This is just a maintenance release, with added support to export tables as JSON. Thank you to Jean-Paul for pointing out the bugs listed in the release notes.

Release Notes:

[Fix] Fixed greyed out “Create Table” icon on toolbar.
[Fix] Encodings are now preserved correctly for UTF8 CSV file imports.
[Enhancement] CSV and JSON exports can now be done with the free version of SmartData™.
[Enhancement] Double clicking a row in the query history window now runs the selected query.
[Enhancement] Added JSON and CSV filters to export SaveAs dialogs respectively.
[Enhancement] Added SQLITE filter to connection file dialog.
[New] Export table as JSON array.

SmartData™ v2.1.2 is now available for download. In this release support for indexes (or indices, still not sure which spelling is correct), has been added. Views and Triggers will be added in future versions.

Release Notes:

[Fix] Chart icon now only enabled when a table is selected.
[Enhancement] Improved wheel scrolling.
[Enhancement] Improved loading speed of table list.
[Enhancement] Website link in About Window is now clickable.
[Enhancement] Added activation button to license view.
[Enhancement] Added .db extension to open database file dialog.
[Enhancement] Added file extensions to create database file dialog.
[New] Licenses can now be activated by signing in.
[New] List indices.
[New] Create index.
[New] Delete index.

Enjoy :slight_smile:

Happy to announce that SmartData™ v2.1.3 is now available for download.

You can now dump (export) your database as either a SQLite or a MySQL script. This gives you the ability to easily port your SQLite database to a MySQL database without much effort.

Also made a few minor tweaks and fixes.

Release Notes:

[Fix] Running CREATE queries now updates database tree correctly.
[Fix] Wheel scroll now works with query editor.
[Fix] Query text can no longer be scrolled past last line.
[Fix] Query text vertical scrollbar now resets correctly when loading new query.
[Fix] Fixed issue where screen freezes when announcements are displayed.
[Fix] Query history window now resizes correctly.
[Enhancement] Changed query history icon.
[New] Table columns can now be sorted again by clicking on their headers.
[New] SQL dumps in SQLite format.
[New] SQL dumps in MySQL format.

Hi Alwyn! Your product seems very nice!
But I have a question, from developer to developer. Is there really a business in these kind of programs? It seems that already a couple of good programs exist that do the same as SmartDate, sometimes even free or open-source. Where is the USP in SmartData? Or is SQLite so popular these days that there is no need for USP’s as everybody needs an editor and they pick the one that feels good for them?

Thanks for you answer! It’s really a question out of curiosity!

Hi Mathias,

You’re asking some good (and tough) questions. I think a USP is always important, especially when you want to monetise a product or build a business around it.

When I made the decision to turn SmartData into a commercial product, I knew there were going to be a lot of competitor products, but I plan to grow SmartData into a UNIQUE user experience with time.

There certainly is a huge variety of very good SQLite editors out there, and my goal is most certainly not to build a tool that simply replicates what is already available.

I’m a big fan of the lean startup methodology, and am currently in the process of establishing user feedback loops for validated learning. By listening very closely to my users and customers, I plan to use their feedback to learn what is most important to users when it comes to working with data.

So what is currently SmartData’s USP? I suppose at this point I would claim that to be its simplicity and efficiency. It gets the basic job done quickly and efficiently, without needing many bells and whistles that complicates the job.

My long term vision for SmartData… to grow it into a data solution that goes beyond just being an editor for SQLite. You might have noticed that in the latest release I’m already starting to bring in MySQL.

I guess I would like to see SmartData grow into a solution for Big Data, that can extract information, and put that information to good use, and help my customers and users make the best possible use of their data.

what is USP?

Unique Selling Point I believe.

Unique Selling Proposition ?

Many other entries in Google, but this one seems to be the one.

I suppose USP can refer to both Unique Selling Point and Unique Selling Proposition.

UVP is also important… Unique Value Proposition. Basically, what unique value does your product or service give your users and customers in terms of the solution that it provides.

Thanks Alwyn for the detailed explanation!
I meant Unique Selling Point indeed, that’s one of the few business words I know :slight_smile:

SmartData™ v2.1.5 is now available for download.

The biggest improvement in this release is that you can now run SmartData on your Raspberry Pi.

Release Notes:

[Fix] Fixed icon of Windows 64-bit executable.
[Enhancement] Improved selection highlighting in query editor.
[Enhancement] Recompiled binaries optimised for speed.
[New] SmartData™ is now available on Raspberry Pi.

Happy querying.

SmartData™ v2.2.0 is now available for download.

After much deliberation we decided to make SmartData™ a free application.

With this release of SmartData™ you will now have unlimited access to all the features without requiring a license.

Release Notes:

[New] Select individual tables with SQL dumps.
[New] SmartData™ is now distributed as a free application.

Enjoy :wink:

Thanks Alwyn - looks like you have just saved me a bundle of time getting rid of some bad data I imported into a db. :slight_smile:

I will enjoy this software. But, while you should not look at a gift horse in the mouth, it always makes me nervous to engage deeply with free software. It sometimes means that a dream has died.

[quote]My long term vision for SmartData… to grow it into a data solution that goes beyond just being an editor for SQLite. You might have noticed that in the latest release I’m already starting to bring in MySQL.

I guess I would like to see SmartData grow into a solution for Big Data, that can extract information, and put that information to good use, and help my customers and users make the best possible use of their data[/quote].

I really wish you well with this project. I hope there is some mechanism that allows you to proceed forward with SmartData.

Glad I could help :wink:

I was in a tough position to make a decision about the future of SmartData.

In recent months, the development and support demands of the product portfolio of my business was growing at a rate faster than the available supply of development and support resources (a problem I suspect any small business has one point or another). Most of our products are gaining good traction when it comes to generating income, but SmartData is lagging in this regard. I suspect this being due to a very competitive market place when it comes to database authoring tools.

So I had 3 options:

1. Drop SmartData completely.
  2. Keep on pushing forward exhausting my development resources, in the hopes that it will eventually generate income.
  3. Make it free, so that the value it creates is not lost, and revise our business model around SmartData.

The dream is definitely still there, but it is competing very hard with reality.

The reason why I picked option 3, was because in-house, we still rely heavily on SmartData, and by providing it for free, it could effectively act as an advertisement for {Zoclee}'s development capabilities.

As my business grows, and the scale of available resources shifts back from reality towards dreams, I will revisit the SmartData business model again.

So in short, development of SmartData will continue, it will just not have the same priority it used to have when it comes to development resources.

Anything we add to SmartData while it is free, will always remain free. We might at some point decide to introduce a pay-for version again, with more advanced features not available in the free version.

But for now, for SmartData to compete with other database authoring tools, it needs to provide at least the same amount of value that existing free tools provides. That is the only way I will be able to convince users to consider it as a possible tool for their environment.