Small Home Network Setup

Hello Everyone,

My Wife and I have a small business. I have written an appointment scheduler application for the business. I would like to be able to network this application on a small 3 computer network. I am looking for advice on the steps I would need to get set up for networking on a small home network with Xojo. I am using Xojo 2015 r4 on a Mac running Yosemite. The other two computers are running Yosemite and El Capitan. I have a Single Desktop license and realize I would have to upgrade that. Not sure if I would need something like MySql or if there’s something better. Any advice or comments would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

buy a small NAS (synology or qnap) with an intel processor inside
then you will be able to choose between postgresql, or some other databases to run your sorfware
then of course you need a xojo with database licence

Or buy the MBS database plugin. Bugs are fixed much faster.

Quite seriously - buy Apple’s OS X Server from the app store
Install it on one machine & it has a shared blog, calendar, email and a ton more
Its $20

Thats the easiest - but its not an app you need to write

I have a similar situation because storing my FTP files (terabytes) and database files (ISP supports only one user login) and CPU usage was too much for my ISP.

I store all my:
• web sites on the ISP (with www.webappdevelopments.com domain)
• Xojo standalone on DMZ configured in my router with the domain on my ISP e.g. mysql.webappdevelopments.com, postgres.webappdevelopments.com, happs.webappdevelopments.com:9001) for my standalone Xojo web apps
• I have the router send all FTP to a different Mac (via port 21/22) so it is not affected if I take the Xojo web server down).

The downside is accessing the machines via their ISP domain names within the home/office network is impossible without either:
• editing the ‘/etc/hosts’ file and adding a line like ‘192.168.0.2 happs.webappdevelopments.com
• installing a DNS server and adding the local domains

Now my two massive servers are accessible from home and abroad for essentially no cost. CrushFTP is on an ancient iMac while a recent Mac mini with i7, 16GB RAM and 8 cores is running Xojo apps, MySQL and PostgresApp. I would give every process a different domain name, as this will make moving services to other machines much easier.

[quote=239022:@Norman Palardy]Quite seriously - buy Apple’s OS X Server from the app store
Install it on one machine & it has a shared blog, calendar, email and a ton more
Its $20

Thats the easiest - but its not an app you need to write[/quote]
it’s not a good practice to run the client app on the server
that’s why I advised a small nas to implement the server, to free the actual computers (that can be notebooks not always there)

Small linux box with postgresql is the best

Oh please! For the kind of setup he’s describing, adding an additional server is way overkill. Just install a db on one of the machines and access it from all of them. If you have additional hardware lying around, then by all means set up a server. Otherwise, for 3 users, it’s crazy.

Do you even need OS X Server for 3 machines?
There’s a whole bunch of server stuff in the regular level already. You have to manually turn it on these days, but it’s there.

another option, if possible, would be to convert your desktop app to a web app.

[quote=239052:@Tim Parnell]Do you even need OS X Server for 3 machines?
There’s a whole bunch of server stuff in the regular level already. You have to manually turn it on these days, but it’s there.[/quote]
Server lets you do shared calendars via webdav and a few other bits
It’s $20 and pretty darned easy to administer - literally “turn this service on or off” kind of simple

Theres also CubeSQL as an option; its free for 3 users.

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions and help. I looked into CubeSQL and decided to give that a try. Seems within my scope of knowledge to set up. Hope it works out

Cube works very well. If you use prepared statements it is a little bit different. See this thread

To run a PostgreSQL install on one of the machines I could recommend Postgres.app
http://postgresapp.com/
Just run the app and you’re done :slight_smile:

[quote=239744:@Albin Kiland]To run a PostgreSQL install on one of the machines I could recommend Postgres.app
http://postgresapp.com/
Just run the app and you’re done :)[/quote]

+1
If you are using PostgreSQL this is by far the easiest implementation I’ve seen.