Slow, and not functional

If you don’t invest time to find out what is causing the slow down the problems likely won’t get fixed. And the problems with the debugger haven’t been mentioned before.

Xojo doesn’t have time to port back fixes.

My apologies if I was straying off-topic. My bad.

To me, this is pretty extraordinary. Only because I’ve long adopted the habit of being a shut-down-at-end-of-every-day person. Not that I don’t trust my software tools, but more so because of how unpredictable an OS can be over time (including macOS). I’ve been burned in the past when the OS hangs overnight and won’t respond in the morning and I’ve lost some piece of work.

I admit, I’ve seen the 2019r3.1 IDE do this once. Upon start of a debug run, the IDE stalled for an extremely long time, with a progress bar displaying where I don’t usually see one (I wish I had taken a screen-shot). After about 3 or 4 minutes the app finally started. On the next debug run, it did it again, so I killed the IDE. Did a complete reboot (Catalina) and restarted Xojo and the problem hasn’t returned since. I didn’t report it because I wasn’t paying enough attention at the time to know how to reproduce the odd launch.

After 20+ years of using other programming tools, this unexpected behaviour in the Xojo IDE was not a surprise to me. What is a surprise, is that Xojo doesn’t crash or hang as often as some other tools.

I know this doesn’t help. But I’ve continued using 2019r3.1 and it still feels pretty solid to me. All the best.

[quote=475153:@Mark Carlton]for me 19.3 has been also very slow, I am now back to 19.1 and no issues at all, no MBS or any other plugin.

iMac Late 2012 i7 BTO 32G ram, 3Tb fusion drive, 10.13.6.[/quote]

Yes, 19.3 is very slow, load only MBS that I use however, in general with mac I notice it slow, I remember the 2017 version with that version I had no problems, I could work fast, now it is difficult to work with Xojo it is very slow

[quote=475159:@]It was targeted at everyone/anyone that is experiencing the slow down but here’s how.

Make sure Xojo is not running.

Open a terminal window and cd to your Desktop

Copy the following command to your terminal window, this will create an approximately 6GB ramdisk formatted as HFS+

diskutil erasevolume HFS+ 'RAM Disk' `hdiutil attach -nomount ram://12582912`

Drag your entire Xojo 2019 Release 3.1 folder from your Applications folder to the RamDisk with the Command key held down to ensure its moved and not copied, you might need to enter your password to perform this action.

Give xojo a few starts by double clicking it directly from the ramdisk to make sure that everything is settled down then try your usual routine that shows a slowdown and see how you get on.

When you are done, you can move it back into the Applications using the same drag with Command key held down and confirm the move with your password. You might get an error saying the copy took place but not all files could not be deleted, check the ramdisk and see if the Xojo folder is empty then you can delete it manually.

To remove the empty RamDisk, right click it on the desktop and click Eject.

Could you then repeat all tests on an APFS ramdisk with the following command:

diskutil erasevolume APFS 'RAM Disk' `hdiutil attach -nomount ram://12582912`

Note: When you mount the drive, it if doesn’t show on the desktop and open its drive window check its there in Disk Utility, click it, then click Mount.[/quote]

Thanks

What are the specifications of your equipment?

I have been experiencing this slowdown since the first beta’s of 2019r2. With no change to anything in my system or software, working with 2019r1.1 is very smooth and responsive, 2019r2+ is slow and can take seconds to scroll the navigator or bring up autocomplete options.

For reference, dark mode seems to play a big portion of the lag, however I run 2019r1.1 in dark mode with no problems so it must be something being done differently in 2919r2+

https://forum.xojo.com/56291-substantial-decrease-in-ide-performance-2019r2-vs-2019r1-1

https://forum.xojo.com/57032-2019r2-1-still-considerably-slower-than-2019r1-1

This is an error. Computers (and OS) are not made to never shutdown / boot.

Ask yourself: how Undo is dealed by Xojo ?

Same here. Because Xojo is a hobby for me on macOS, i removed it AND didn’t even renew my Apple Developer Account… I stopped using Xojo on macOS. Just wasn’t fun anymore … :confused:

Is there a way we could get some old alphas/betas from 2019r2? If we could diff the first one that caused this tremendous slowdown it might narrow the scope a bit.

[quote=475208:@Alex Bombay]I have been experiencing this slowdown since the first beta’s of 2019r2. With no change to anything in my system or software, working with 2019r1.1 is very smooth and responsive, 2019r2+ is slow and can take seconds to scroll the navigator or bring up autocomplete options.

For reference, dark mode seems to play a big portion of the lag, however I run 2019r1.1 in dark mode with no problems so it must be something being done differently in 2919r2+

https://forum.xojo.com/56291-substantial-decrease-in-ide-performance-2019r2-vs-2019r1-1

https://forum.xojo.com/57032-2019r2-1-still-considerably-slower-than-2019r1-1[/quote]
Similar story here with the code editor. 2019r1.1 is usable although noticeably slower than previous versions. We are on macOS 10.11 so no dark mode or APFS.

Profiling Xojo using Instruments while spamming the keyboard in the code editor shows the following:
Thread 1 - 7.59 seconds
33.4% time was spent in StudioCommandBar.Event_Paint
26.8% time was in StudioCommandBar.DrawItem

Thread 2 - 7.57 seconds
98.4% in CodeEditorCanvasNew.Event_InsertText
89.8% in SourceCompleter.FindMatches
89.6% in SourceContext.Visit
73.3% in SourceContext.VisitDocGlobals

The main offender does appear to be auto complete but why is it getting slower with each version of Xojo?

[quote=475225:@Kevin Gale]Similar story here with the code editor. 2019r1.1 is usable although noticeably slower than previous versions. We are on macOS 10.11 so no dark mode or APFS.

Profiling Xojo using Instruments while spamming the keyboard in the code editor shows the following:
Thread 1 - 7.59 seconds
33.4% time was spent in StudioCommandBar.Event_Paint
26.8% time was in StudioCommandBar.DrawItem

Thread 2 - 7.57 seconds
98.4% in CodeEditorCanvasNew.Event_InsertText
89.8% in SourceCompleter.FindMatches
89.6% in SourceContext.Visit
73.3% in SourceContext.VisitDocGlobals

The main offender does appear to be auto complete but why is it getting slower with each version of Xojo?[/quote]

I didn’t see many changes with autocomplete before the 2019r1.1->2019r2 change, but now they have colors for the deprecated items/replacements as well as a larger list to search.

BTW: The slow behaviour is a verified issue (<https://xojo.com/issue/56900>). They have Traces, Videos and more already.

The MicroVAX I used in the 80s used to run for 11 months at a time (along with the application I wrote which ran on it). Only reason for shutdown was the annual site-wide power outage while they switched the incoming HT feed to the backup. So I’m inclined to disagree.

Meanwhile at home I don’t restart macOS frequently but I do save the project and quit the IDE overnight.

You can, and so you can continue to use that said MicroVAX.

What do you know about the OS (and software) internals ?

(the Xojo IDE, I meant).

Of course, with a brand new computer with no data on its 4TB inside SSD, it will takes you some months (if not years) to be at the slow and not functional state, but one day, this will happens to you too.

2019 Mac Pro, 256gbs ram, 24 core.

(Catalina / Xojo 3.1).
Nice.

:slight_smile:
hopefully you have no slowdown problem !

Wouldn’t that be funny? :smiley:

Are they? My Macs usually run for days, sometimes weeks unless I am forced to reboot for some OS update. And I don’t quit Xojo but leave it running in the background while I’m doing other stuff. Also I am among the lucky ones who don’t experience a slowdown with any of the recent versions of the IDE. No dark mode for me though (I just don’t like it).