Show floating window in Windows task bar list?

Hi,

I’m not a Windows guy so I hope I get the terminology right.

I have a floating window which is the main control centre from which other windows are being opened.

My user on Windows would like that floating window to appear in the list of open windows that the app is showing in the task bar at the bottom of the screen.

Is this doable?

TIA

Markus

P.S. I think he would like to be able to go straight to the control window from other apps by opening the task bar list.

That is “automagically” managed by Windows. The only time I’ve seen that a window is not shown in the app’s windows preview is when the window type is a movable modal or floating window. What is the type for your main window?

:wink:

Also see thread subject :wink:

You can sort of fake it by creating a dummy window
Then in the activate event of the dummy window code
Name Of Floating.Show
me.Minimize

[quote=127847:@Markus Winter]My user on Windows would like that floating window to appear in the list of open windows that the app is showing in the task bar at the bottom of the screen.

Is this doable?[/quote]

This will show the icon in the task bar for a global floating window. You can place it in a control or in Open.

self.visible = False Declare Function SetWindowLong Lib "user32" Alias "SetWindowLongA" (hWnd As integer, nIdex As integer, dwNewLong As Integer) As Integer DIM t_result As Integer = SetWindowLong(self.Handle, -20,&h00) //&h80 to mask icon self.visible = true

[quote=127866:@Jym Morton]You can sort of fake it by creating a dummy window
Then in the activate event of the dummy window code
Name Of Floating.Show
me.Minimize[/quote]

Interesting idea. Unfortunately the control window does not get the focus.

[quote=127871:@Michel Bujardet]This will show the icon in the task bar for a global floating window. You can place it in a control or in Open.

self.visible = False Declare Function SetWindowLong Lib "user32" Alias "SetWindowLongA" (hWnd As integer, nIdex As integer, dwNewLong As Integer) As Integer DIM t_result As Integer = SetWindowLong(self.Handle, -20,&h00) //&h80 to mask icon self.visible = true[/quote]
Brilliant! Thanks Michel!

I need to do the opposite… How do I PREVENT certain windows in my app from showing up on the taskbar?

See https://forum.xojo.com/13817-creating-an-application-with-no-taskbar-icon

Thanks. That works!