See you at XDC!

Yeah I can totally understand it though. I grew up in North Florida and had Orlando season passes and such. So it’s played out for me. I also love gambling, nightlife, shows, food, etc. that Vegas offers.

Well my entire mother’s side of the family is in Orlando. It’s an area I’m quite familiar with. My reason is for liking Orlando is my family. I can bring them along, take them to Disney or Seaworld or any of the dozens of other attractions. Heck, we brought my niece last year.

While Vegas has lots of attractions as well, they’re completely different kinds of attractions. I don’t mean unsavory, I means shows vs rides, for example.

Las Vegas tried for many years to become a family friendly place. I think they finally decided it just wasn’t working.

Its family friendly - at least for me since my kids are all > 21 :stuck_out_tongue:

Can’t wait to be in Las Vegas and at the XDC conference. Drinking from the fire hose of knowledge!

I hope they saved enough of their pocket money for a three day visit to Las Vegas! :smiley:

Tom and I (from Light Blue Software, www.lightbluesoftware.com) will be there, making the trip over from the UK.

We both grew up in villages with fewer than 500 people in them; Vegas is likely to be a bit of a culture shock!

Hamish

…reading all your comments here I expect at least a xojo written slot-mashine-game for each platform (mac, win, linux and web) as working result :stuck_out_tongue:

Perhaps we will have to write one for the contest :wink:

That’s an interesting idea :wink: Will you be there again this year, Massimo?

Maybe we have attendees write a “craps player”, “roulette player” or a “black jack player” since there should be no specific strategy to winning at slot machines as it should be fairly random & not predictable.
WIth the others there could be some level of strategy & skill to winning.
Although there’s no “head to head” component like last years battleship game :slight_smile:

[quote=41788:@Norman Palardy]Maybe we have attendees write a “craps player”, “roulette player” or a “black jack player” since there should be no specific strategy to winning at slot machines as it should be fairly random & not predictable.
WIth the others there could be some level of strategy & skill to winning.
Although there’s no “head to head” component like last years battleship game :)[/quote]

I’d prefer something not random. At this point a raffle would be better.
If has to be a contest then, make it so! :slight_smile:

I hope so, but I don’t know yet for sure.

A Texas Hold’em tournament would have a head to head component. Could have x number of tables of 8 or so players and the winners of the tables would play each other for all the virtual cash…

Tom and I would be at a big disadvantage, not knowing the rules of poker, and I’m sure many others would be too - it’d be nice to have something everyone could take part in regardless of gambling ability… :slight_smile:

[quote=41803:@Massimo Valle]I’d prefer something not random. At this point a raffle would be better.
If has to be a contest then, make it so! :)[/quote]
Craps playing the same set of rolls or roulette with the same set of points for each player.
Something repeatable - but not known before play starts.
Then your task is to devise a betting scheme to maximize winnings (or minimize losses)
I suppose you could do the same with a slot machine style

Texas Holdem is very straight forward & the rules are easily found online

One aspect of that game that would, I think, be missing is all the bluffing that goes on.
A bluff is where you bet like you have a great hand but really dont (or have a great hand and play it like you dont to try & get others to bet a lot more)

I’m sure there are many games that could work

The XDC 2014 Sessions List is now available! http://www.xojo.com/xdc/sessions.php

Learning to Love Linux. As a fan of alliteration this one seemed compelling.

I’ve only been once and that was over a decade ago! I’m excited to see what’s changed though sad there is not more Star Trek Experience, I wanted to drag @Dana Brown to Quark’s Bar!