Runtime Error: R6025 - pure virtual function call

I have a Xojo console application that acts as a server-type service on a Windows 2012 Server x64. Randomly from 12-48 hours of up-time, I get the following error w/ a hard crash:

Runtime Error: R6025 - pure virtual function call

I’ve attempted to run this in debug, via the Xojo IDE and try to catch whatever it is causing this; however, it seems to run for days w/o an issue while in this state. Anybody have any ideas on even where to begin to look? Thanks…

[quote=128845:@Eric Brown]Runtime Error: R6025 - pure virtual function call
[/quote]

Lots of mentions of the said error.
https://duckduckgo.com/?q="R6025+-+pure+virtual+function+call"

I’ve read a lot from links I’ve found on Google too, but most refer to C++. I don’t know C++, unfortunately. This guy had the same error, but under other circumstances:

http://forums.realsoftware.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=33016

He also couldn’t replicate the issue, using Realbasic, while in debug mode.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/125749

Here MS explains it’s a program error. It’s not clear if it is your code or Xojo’s.

I looked into several links of the search I posted and there are two kinds : errors from Norton Utilities and errors coming from the C++ code. The Norton Utilities one could be a hint, even if you do not have that installed on your machine. It seems possible that another program interferes with your app in such a way that it triggers the error.

The Pure virtual function call error seems deeply ingrained into the code, so I frankly doubt it is your code, unless you do some low level stuff such as declares. I would be inclined to think it is some Xojo code edge case. Too bad the guy who stumbled into that in the RealBasic forum did not post his project, which seemed to reproduce that fairly consistently.

Pragmatically, and given the utterly random nature of the error, and unless you find a way to trap the error within your app (I do not see how), you may want to monitor the application through a helper that restarts it when it crashes. I know, it is not a cure, but it could be a remedy.

[quote=128890:@Michel Bujardet]I looked into several links of the search I posted and there are two kinds : errors from Norton Utilities and errors coming from the C++ code. The Norton Utilities one could be a hint, even if you do not have that installed on your machine. It seems possible that another program interferes with your app in such a way that it triggers the error.

The Pure virtual function call error seems deeply ingrained into the code, so I frankly doubt it is your code, unless you do some low level stuff such as declares. I would be inclined to think it is some Xojo code edge case. Too bad the guy who stumbled into that in the RealBasic forum did not post his project, which seemed to reproduce that fairly consistently.

Pragmatically, and given the utterly random nature of the error, and unless you find a way to trap the error within your app (I do not see how), you may want to monitor the application through a helper that restarts it when it crashes. I know, it is not a cure, but it could be a remedy.[/quote]

You should configure Windows to generate minidumps on application crashes and file a bug report with the dmp file attached. It’s probably enough for us to track down and fix the bug.

Microsoft has a bit of documentation on how to do this on their ’ Collecting User-Mode Dumps’ page.

Thanks guys… will try and see what I can capture and get back to ya’.