Running on Sonoma Intel

Hi team!

I’m have built a Windows/Mac app with 2023r4, which runs fine on Windows 10 and Mac OS Ventura (and before) but is not opening on Sonoma (on Intel Mac) when I share with my testers.

I have code-signed it, but I’m waiting to notarise it when it is finished testing. I’ve asked them to right-click and open from the Finder, but it says it can’t open.

Is this a known problem or just my tester’s?

thanks for any suggestions!
Michelle

Do your testers report any error messages?

You might have them try launching the app in the Terminal to see if any error messages are displayed there.

So there’s several things here.

1. Anytime you want to run an application on someone else’s Mac, it should be Notarized. Notarizing typically only takes about 30 seconds ~ to 3 minutes. There are exceptions, like when Apple’s Notarization services falls over (at least once a week) and then you have to wait. Worst case it falls over on a Friday afternoon and you have to wait until Tuesday to Notarize.

2. In the System Settings / Preferences, probably under Security and Privacy, will be an option where the customer can choose to allow apps from outside the App Store and un-notarized apps.

It’s not considered a good practice to ask your testers to reduce the Apple security, in some cases this will immediately burn them as a potential customer.

There is a another way to test macOS apps, and that’s via TestFlight on the Mac App Store, however AFAIK it is not available to Xojo made applications. I did inquire a couple of times trying to correct that, but its going to take some time to test all of the suggestions DTS gave ma, and TBH, it’s kinda isn’t worth the time to figure out.

All in all, I’d recommend Notarizing your app, even if it’s just a test version. Yes, you have to Notarize each version you want to share with others.

Hi Sam

Thanks for your reply.

I agree with not reducing security.

The app is for my work team only, but I needed them to test it this week.

I did try notarising, but it failed with timestamp, hardening, developer ID errors. I didn’t have time to work through the list to get the app tested this week. I was looking at AppWrapper, but I’m not sure if it works with Sonoma. So I’m happy you’ve answered my query, thanks again.

Michelle

Thanks for your reply Eric, I will ask them. It could just be user error, as I’m able to run on everything else. It’s just I don’t have an Intel box with Sonoma.

AFAIK it works with Sonoma, in other words I’m not aware of any specific issues with Sonoma.

Are they registered as Team members with Apple? If so and they have downloaded their own code signing certificates, you can sign your application with your “Mac Developer” or “Apple Developer” certificate and they should be able to run the application without Notarizing.

Once you’ve got App Wrapper set up on your Mac, select “Development” under the code signing header in the sidebar.

I am sorry that I forgot about this option, been an indie dev for too long :slight_smile:

1 Like

Happily wrapping/notarizing here on Sonoma. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

If you are in the same plant (locatio), there is no security flaw to use a MemoryStick (or an external hard disk) to copy the application into the users err. testers machines.

1 Like

Hi Sam

Thanks, that is useful information, I think it must be user error.

They aren’t part of the development team, unfortunately, they are an operations team.

1 Like

Hi Eric

Thanks I was able to get the error message from running in Terminal.

The application cannot be opened for an unexpected reason, error=Error Domain=NSOSStatusErrorDomain Code=-10810 "kLSUnknownErr: Unexpected internal error" UserInfo={_LSFunction=_LSLaunchWithRunningboard, _LSLine=3057, NSUnderlyingError=0x600000b904b0 {Error Domain=RBSRequestErrorDomain Code=5 "Launch failed." UserInfo={NSLocalizedFailureReason=Launch failed., NSUnderlyingError=0x600000b90480 {Error Domain=NSPOSIXErrorDomain Code=1 "Operation not permitted" UserInfo={NSLocalizedDescription=Launchd job spawn failed}}}}}

Is this just the not-notarised error?