rs.Edit Comparison

Hi,
Could someone please confirm if I have understood this correctly:

The first code example below, basically does the same as the second code example (edits data which already exists, as opposed to inserting it)?

rs.Edit rs.Field("Message").StringValue = "Hello World" rs.Update

dim sql as string sql = "Update Boxes set Message = 'Hello World' Where blah blah blah)

I know the second code is not complete - I am just trying to ensure I have understood the concept :slight_smile:
I am presuming they both perform the same function, just a different way of doing it?

Thank you all in advance.

i used both way… if you have lots of field to update, the first method is much better. if you only need to just update one field, use the second method.

[quote=69481:@Richard Summers]Hi,
Could someone please confirm if I have understood this correctly:

The first code example below, basically does the same as the second code example (edits data which already exists, as opposed to inserting it)?

rs.Edit rs.Field("Message").StringValue = "Hello World" rs.Update

dim sql as string sql = "Update Boxes set Message = 'Hello World' Where blah blah blah)

I know the second code is not complete - I am just trying to ensure I have understood the concept :slight_smile:
I am presuming they both perform the same function, just a different way of doing it?

Thank you all in advance.[/quote]

More or less equivalent
BUT the second one really would be more like

sql = "Update Boxes set Message = 'Hello World' Where primaryKeyForTable = <value>

If you need to update lots of fields in one record then its more or less a wash as to which one you might use

If you need to update a LOT of records all at once use some variation of the second one as you can specify a “where clause” that can match based on whatever criteria you can dream up which can be harder to do with the first form

In the second case though I would use a PREPARED STATEMENT since you DONT have to try & get all the quotes & escaping right

Right, they are mostly equivalent.

If I am just going to slam in a new value for a field or two, I use the Update form. I tend to use the rs.Edit route if I need to read the database record anyway.

Wow, I actually understood something correctly ! :wink:

But both of those methods still leave itself wide open for mistakes. In each case it’s very easy to fat finger a table and/or field name and you won’t know it until you go to use it at runtime. It’s one of the reasons why we use ActiveRecord - at least the compiler can tell us if we’ve made a mistake or try to assign an inappropriate datatype.