Retina icon 144 dpi 72 dpi

When we build application with Xojo, if we fill all icon canvas (except 8 bit), we obtain a file named App.icns with :

• 1024 x 1024 - 144 dpi
  • 512 x 512 - 72 dpi
  • 256 x 512 - 72 dpi
  • 128 x 512 - 72 dpi
  • 32 x 512 - 72 dpi
  • 16 x 512 - 72 dpi

If I look at Apple application icon as Calendar or even if I look at Xojo icns there are 4 more pictures :

• 512 x 512 - 144 dpi
  • 256 x 256 - 144 dpi
  • 64 x 64 - 144 dpi
  • 32 x 512 - 144 dpi

I open icns with Preview on Mac.
My trouble is that LaunchPad seems to try to use 144 dpi picture (as I have a Retina Mac) and as it doesn’t find them, use smaller picture.
Icons of my Xojo applications are not as well as they should in LaunchPad.

There’s a ton of different ways to handle this.

If you use App Wrapper, drag your graphic into the icon well and App Wrapper will create the icon for you.

If not you can use an icon design tool of your own choosing, or some terminal commands to turn a folder full of images into a ICNS file, then use a IDE script to copy the ICNS file in (you can grab my FREE ICSNmini from the App Store) to compress the icon for you.

If you don’t have a icon design tool and don’t want to mess with the terminal, you can check out my icon design tool Iconographer (which features built in compression).
http://www.ohanaware.com/iconographer/

For iOS heres the sizes
https://developer.apple.com/library/content/qa/qa1686/_index.html
Note these are ALL @72 DPI and the 2x versions have a canvas 2x as large as the 1x
The same holds true for macOS apps (see https://developer.apple.com/library/content/documentation/UserExperience/Conceptual/OSXHIGuidelines/Designing.html)

Thank you.
What I did (to test) :
I did a Ctrl-Clic on my Application build with Xojo and located “App.icns” in “Resources” folder of “Contents” of package content. I open this file with iconStiX and save it. It created the missing dpi.

I don’t understand why Xojo doesn’t make them, as “512 x 512 - 144 dpi” is exactly the same as “512 x 512 - 72 dpi” and so on. No ?
I will have to do that after each build of each new version of my program.

Because its not 512x512 @ 144
That is what the pages I sent you point out
The @2x versions are 72 DPI but 2x as many pixels

Some tools WILL show the 512x512@2x as 512x512 @144 DPI
Some dont

[quote=330676:@Thomas ROBISSON]
I don’t understand why Xojo doesn’t make them, as “512 x 512 - 144 dpi” is exactly the same as “512 x 512 - 72 dpi” and so on. No ?
I will have to do that after each build of each new version of my program.[/quote]
No
Fill in the right slots in the icon editor (theyre all there in the icon editor)
Click on your App class and open the inspector

Thank you Sam Rowlands, I downloaded your application “ICNSmini” (I didn’t find it the fist time because I copy paste what you wrote “ICSNmini” and you inverted S and N).

Thank you Norman, I filled all the slot except those 8-bit. Then I have nothing more to do. LaunchPad has enough with what Xojo create in the ICNS. It does not need the other one.

Oops, sorry bout that…