Report Formatting Bugs

Hello.

I have been writing RB (Xojo) applications for several years and was always a proponent of the environment. Recently I developed an application where one of the requirements was to produce some reports. I discovered two bugs that were confirmed as such. This was in Xojo release 2013r1. To fix these bugs would probably be easy, but to date, nothing has happened. One bug is new to Xojo, it’s not present in Real Studio 2012r2.1 and it prevents me to move forward to Xojo. The other bug is present in both releases and prevents me from releasing the application to the client. Every release since 2013r1, I was hoping that the bugs would be fixed, but nothing happened. Instead, I see that they are sliding in the ranks.

If these bugs can’t be fixed by the end of the year, I have no choice but to look for another development platform.

For reference, the bug numbers are 28805 and 27143, at least that’s what the feedback system is telling me.

Regards,
Chris

I fix the Bug With this code (DataSet and Array)

SqlStr=“Select jobs From jobsdata Where workordernum =’” + WorkNum + “’”
CustID=SqlStr
Rs = DbConn.SQLSelect(SqlStr)
If DbConn.Error then
MsgBox "Error " + DbConn.ErrorMessage
Return
End If

If Rs.RecordCount > 0 Then
Dim fJobs As String
Dim i As Integer
// fill the history array
Do
fJobs = Rs.Field(“jobs”).StringValue.Trim
If CountFields(fJobs,Chr(13)) > 0 then
Dim anArray(-1) as String
anArray=Split(fJobs,chr(13))
For i=0 to Ubound(anArray)
MyData.Append New vDataRep(anArray(i),sMoney)
sMoney=0
Next
Else
MyData.Append New vDataRep(fJobs,sMoney)
sMoney=0
End If
Rs.MoveNext
Loop until Rs.EOF=True

End If

Feedback 28805 doesn’t have a sample project that demonstrates the problem. It needs one. You say:

When you print it how?

Let’s say I get paid by the feedback report resolved. I’m not saying that’s how it works, but just assume it does. I see that report and see that I have to do a bunch of work creating a project to replicate the bug, I have to figure out what you mean by “print it” and then I can get started working on your favorite bug. No thank you. There are more than 29,000 other feedback reports, one of which might have a good project that demonstrates the problem and gives me a clear benchmark for fixing. I’ll go with that one.

Just sayin…

No sample means, as Brad said, more work to verify & fix.
Usually the response is “Please attach a sample or steps to reproduce”.

Reports with samples &/or steps are certainly easier to verify and move ahead more quickly.
That’s not to say ones without never get looked at but if you want something fixed a sample &/or steps can help accelerate that process.

I just purchased DBReport https://forum.xojo.com/5586-dbreport-1-3-release at 50 euros it’s a no brainer.

i have not idea “\r” is added by RB or Xojo automatically

I have no problems with providing code, real or sample, if that speeds up the process. How do I attach the code to a case in the feedback system?

You have the choice to provide code in the description field or in the attachements (for a file, screen shots included).

OK, it’s even a lot simpler:
Open the ‘GasReport’ in ‘Example Projects’ -> ‘Printing and Reporting’.
Run the report in 2013rAnything and run the report in RS 2012r2.1 using US Letter paper, you can preview the report in ‘Preview’, no printing necessary.
You will find that Xojo spreads the report over 6 pages leaving a large margin at the bottom of each page. RS only uses 5 pages. If the behavior of RS 2012r2.1 could be restored, it would solve my main issue. And since it was working in a previous release, it should not be too hard to put that functionality back. If you’d get a bonus for every ticket closed, this would be one ;).

I will come up with another simple example for my other issue, but that one isn’t as pressing.

Thanks,
Chris.

There are a lot of feedback cases vying for attention. Not having a small project that reliably (i.e. every time) demonstrates your issue will most definitely hinder it from getting looked at and fixed. Frankly, I don’t think you’ve identified the underlying issue in 28805. Sounds like a symptom of something else to me, and if you discovered that something else, you might find an easy workaround or even find that you’re doing something wrong to expose the problem. You might do better to explain the issue on the forum in a new thread and see if you can get some help.

When you create a new case in Feedback, there is an “attachments” area. Hit the little green + icon at the right of that area to select projects to attach.

On Mac & Windows you can also drag items into the attachments area. Linux users will have the ability to drop attachments in the next release of Feedback.

[quote=42744:@Chris Ruprecht]OK, it’s even a lot simpler:
Open the ‘GasReport’ in ‘Example Projects’ -> ‘Printing and Reporting’.
Run the report in 2013rAnything and run the report in RS 2012r2.1 using US Letter paper, you can preview the report in ‘Preview’, no printing necessary.
You will find that Xojo spreads the report over 6 pages leaving a large margin at the bottom of each page. RS only uses 5 pages. If the behavior of RS 2012r2.1 could be restored, it would solve my main issue. And since it was working in a previous release, it should not be too hard to put that functionality back. If you’d get a bonus for every ticket closed, this would be one ;).

I will come up with another simple example for my other issue, but that one isn’t as pressing.

Thanks,
Chris.[/quote]
I recently fixed juts such a bug
Dont recall the case # though

[quote=42776:@Norman Palardy]I recently fixed juts such a bug
Dont recall the case # though[/quote]

I’d beta test it for you if you let me have the beta (or alpha) …

[quote=42776:@Norman Palardy]I recently fixed juts such a bug
Dont recall the case # though[/quote]
Possibly <https://xojo.com/issue/27167>, which is currently assigned to r4 (and not yet in beta testing).