Remove Reference to Xojo in Built Applications & Support Files?

“You agree not to decompile, reverse engineer or modify any part of the Xojo IDE or the Xojo Framework.”

Pathetic. Does not involve Xojo at all.

Its called obfuscation of the name of the tool use to make the apps inside the compiled application and dll files which I am free to distribute and sell. The names are replaced with a random string of the same length such as “YYYY” as opposed to “Xojo”.

What I am not interested in is selling is advertising for the compiling tool - the compiled applications are suppose to be mine to resale with my brand name and not be branded as Xojo applications. This is one level below forcing users to place a Xojo icon in the about window. Other people use the same technique to obscure their method names or data they do not want to be seen.

“Anyone serious enough to want to clone their software would do so just as quickly with / without the Xojo names in the software.”

I frankly doubt anyone of my customers, who are potential competitors, are going to have any experience with programming otherwise there would already be a product would there not. Looking up the method names and other items in the compiled application of Google will likely lead them to various discussions of code which they know nothing about and they will likely leave as it seems to technical and too time consuming - i.e. essentially jumping into the middle of a technical conversation about a subject you know nothing about.

On the other hand the word “Xojo” will lead them right to the main Xojo page where they will learn about how easy it is to use the product, the free ide, example applications, and so forth. Why would I want my application to point to the very tool it was made with? That’s exactly how I found about Real Basic - an application about window with a rb logo.

“If a carpenter builds a house using a specific hammer, nails, wood, etc. does that mean that another carpenter can duplicate that house IF he uses the same hammer, nails, wood, etc.? Without the blueprint, this is generally much hard than you might think.”

You mean to tell me Xojo is not an easy to learn application compiling tool designed for even beginners? Comparing it to the work of a master carpenter that takes years just to apprentice is comparing apples and oranges when anyone could pick up a copy of Xojo and type and learn by simple examples - that’s how I learned RB. Having completed an addition on my house from the foundation up there is no comparison between the two at all. On a side note most of the houses built around here - early 20th Century and late 19th Century - were not built with any grand architectural plans at all in hand other than an occasion crude sketch on a small scrap of paper for something that required more detail such as a built-in.

“The Libs folder not only contains the Xojo dlls, but some MBS ones too ( they have not even complained about shell.dll advertising a petrol company ).”

No MBS one in mine, the other dlls are ones I don’t care much about as they mention IBM, Microsoft, which are not going to lead someone back to Xojo like say the word “Xojo” in plain site.

Please lock this thread… It’s turning into a circle j.e.r.k

I totally agree with you Rich.

I made a very similar application when I saw other applications for the same purpose were not updated to fit new requirements a while ago now (at its time some years ago).

Is this posting mysterious enough not to mention what software it is? :wink: